• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanics Lien - Colorado

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ColoradoHome

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Colorado

I completed a home remodel last fall (about October, 2001), on July 7, 2002 a subcontractor filed a lien on my home for about $700 for work not paid for by the contractor. Unfortunately I was not savy enough to get any written guarantee from the contractor that all his subs had been paid - live and learn - and of course he is long gone. BUT reading the Colorado Statutes it seems that the mechanics lien law requires that some action be filed within 6 months of the date of the work completion, which is without dispute June of 2001. The first we heard of the bill was a certified letter which arrived 8 months after the work was done, and I just rcd. my 1st copy of the bill 13 months after the service. Is this enough to have the lien removed, and if so how does one go about doing this?

Other possibly pertinent facts: We rcd. no benefit from the work, all had to be redone by the homeowner because it was so shoddy (fireplace installation). The contract was clearly with the contractor, and the subcontractor stated he was not a subcontractor on the lien he filed with the state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">