• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medi-Cal Estate Recovery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jomustard

California

My brother has been on SSI and Medi-Cal for about 9 years due to Cirrhosis of the liver. During that time I have been his IHSS care provider.
We own a house together in joint tenancy. What I would like to know is if my brother passes will Medi-cal have any claim to our home?

jomustard

It gives an example
Example 1: Mindy died after January 1, 2017. She had a home (total value of $200,000), and left it to her daughter in her will. Medi-Cal paid $50,000 for Mindy’s medical services. The state can recover $50,000. However, if Mindy had left the home in a living trust, joint tenancy, or any transfer that avoided probate, there would be no recovery

adjusterjack

The conclusion being that you and your brother own the home as joint tenants with right of survivorship. It's a non-probate asset not subject to recovery by Medi-Cal.

LdiJ

California

My brother has been on SSI and Medi-Cal for about 9 years due to Cirrhosis of the liver. During that time I have been his IHSS care provider.
We own a house together in joint tenancy. What I would like to know is if my brother passes will Medi-cal have any claim to our home?
It depends in part on exactly how the joint tenancy is worded. If any rights of survivorship are involved, then no, Medi-cal would not have any claims. If its just joint tenants in common, then it's possible that Medi-cal could force you to sell or refinance to pay them your brother's estate's share.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">