• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mediation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TX

OMgoodness, I just read through out mediation papers and I am totally confused.

We both had attorneys last year (August), within a few months he refused to produce any info requested and refused to comply with any orders on answering questions that we BOTH had to answer such as income etc. Eventually his attorney asked to be removed from the case and a court order was made for him to answer deposition? or whatever the questions were...he still hasn't.

Now - we have mediation tomorrow, he is pro se, I still have my attorney and have now gone through two retainers while he has drug this out about silly questions that are meaningless. The true heart of the matter (child support and visitation schedule) has not even been addressed in a year. I assumed at $350 an hour tomorrow I would be out another grand or so but figured what choice did i have.

Just read that if one party is pro se, he/she can ask that the other party NOT have an attorney present. WHAT? I have paid so much money for her because I can't work with this man and I need someone in my court to stand up! What is the point of having an attorney if by the time we get to mediation I can't even have her help me? We may as well go to court!

What can I do?

casa

bonkers101 said:
TX

OMgoodness, I just read through out mediation papers and I am totally confused.

We both had attorneys last year (August), within a few months he refused to produce any info requested and refused to comply with any orders on answering questions that we BOTH had to answer such as income etc. Eventually his attorney asked to be removed from the case and a court order was made for him to answer deposition? or whatever the questions were...he still hasn't.

Now - we have mediation tomorrow, he is pro se, I still have my attorney and have now gone through two retainers while he has drug this out about silly questions that are meaningless. The true heart of the matter (child support and visitation schedule) has not even been addressed in a year. I assumed at $350 an hour tomorrow I would be out another grand or so but figured what choice did i have.

Just read that if one party is pro se, he/she can ask that the other party NOT have an attorney present. WHAT? I have paid so much money for her because I can't work with this man and I need someone in my court to stand up! What is the point of having an attorney if by the time we get to mediation I can't even have her help me? We may as well go to court!

What can I do?
Your attorney will be with you in court. What I think you are referring to is during mediation...In that case, many states have mediation only include the parties and the mediator. The mediator will facilitate the meeting with you and the X.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">