• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mediation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flash2go

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hi All,

I filed a counterpetition. A mediation is set for the next week. I still don't have a job or money for a lawyer. She canceled my phone, my auto insurance. I am staying at a homeless place where I am 5 weeks behind on rent and they are trying to throw me out on the street. I still cry to sleep for my son and cannot sleep for more than 45 minutes. I have not seen him in 6 months due to the injunction she placed with false statements and perjury and I don't have a lawyer to have it dropped. Even though I won the criminal case (found not guilty at trial), I am losing this civil case because she is doing everything to make me lose this case. She does not want me to find/do a job because she does not want me to have a lawyer. This would not be a fair and impartial hearing.

1. How can I ask to provide a lawyer? Should I file a motion?

2. Who provides me with a lawyer (court, petitioner)?

3. What happens during mediation? What should I ask during mediation? I just want to press my expectations that I filed in my counterpetition.

But how would the judge give me custody of my child when I don't have a job/money and a place to stay? She is obese (was 500 lbs, failed 2 major gastric bypass surgeries, business, career, failed everything I gave her), cannot rescue my kid from any dangerous situation, unsuccessful at her career and getting nowhere. Last year, she took up 14 contracts in 16 months, lost 8 jobs in as little as 2 days due to obesity, moved us 4 states in 4 months and 2 states in 3 days. She is a traveling consultant, goes to other states/countries every week and returns over the weekend and so how can she have my child? How can my child end up growing up at her aunt/uncle's place when he has a father and mother still alive? Currently he is under her aunt/uncle's care. She is still insisting on supervised visitation. She turned completely malicious, vindictive and discompassionate. I made 400k in 4 years but right now I am homeless, jobless, bankrupt and helpless.

Please help me... I could never see a lawyer in the last 6 months. I don't have a phone to call local lawyers because she canceled it when I was contacting some lawyers (she was monitoring my phone calls online with Sprint).

mistoffolees

Sorry, but no one is going to provide you with an attorney for a divorce case. You're going to have to do some work to find one. This question has been asked (and answered) repeatedly on this forum. Start by making the effort to do a search on how to get legal representation with little or no money.

And then, stop with the victim stuff. Get a job and start taking care of your own life instead of expecting her to do it for you.

Ronin

At this point she's got you by the you know whats and its time for you to man up and get back in control of your life. If not for yourself then for the sake of your son.

Get off your high horse about her health issues and career failures since at this point she is still in a better position than you in that she actually has a job. Unless it was just dumb luck that you supposedly made 100k a year in the past, you should be smart enough and resourceful enough be able to find gainful employment, even if you have to lower your expectations considerably.

In spite of your counterpetition, from what you have stated it is likely mediation will fail. Especially if you go into mediation without an attorney expecting to play hardball. You should ask for what is reasonable under the circumstances. What defines reasonable is a call you will have to make. If mediation fails the judge will make the decisions.

It is unlikely the court will provide you an attorney for your custody case even if you are indigent.

It is very highly unlikely the court will give you custody.

Best you can hope for in the very short term is to improve your current situation with regards to visitation. That is probably where you should focus your efforts for now.

Get a job and back in control of your own life and hopefully the other things will slowly wind up where they should.

Good luck...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">