• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid and Christmas Gifts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New York

My mother is 75 and in long term care nursing home. She qualified for Medicaid this year (2019) after going through a spend-down and her assets are well under $15,000

She wants to give her 11 grandchildren $100 each this Christmas.

1) Is that an issue?

She wanted to give all of us kids and spouses each $100 also (6 total). I told her it is not necessary and I think it may come back to bite her being on Medicaid.

2) Is there any issue, now that she is on Medicaid, on how she gives out cash gifts? She would like to give some money to non-family members, also.

FlyingRon

Gifts are only protected if they are to your spouse or a trust for the benefit of a blind or disabled person. Other family members or non-family members don't get a pass. There's no minimum dollar threshold on the gifts either. They will add them all up and count it as a transfer and it could well result in her being ineligible for a certain number of days/months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">