• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid In Kansas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Angdiel

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My name is Angela in February 2001 I received a liver transplant, which left me permanently disabled. My Medications cost well over $5,000 a month. I was on disability and had a medical card to help me offset these costs.
Recently, however, the state of Kansas decided to cancel my disability and my medical card. With being unable to work this makes it impossible to purchase my medications. WIthout my medications I will will die within a year, most likey less. By cancelling my medical card, the state has basically signed my execution papers, even though I have committed no crime.
I feel I have the right to live, and the right to have my medications, even though I am unable to have a job, and the state of Kansas is denying me the right to live by not allowing me to get my medications that I desperately need to survive.
Please anyone.....let me know what the laws are on this! I will NOT give up without a fight!
Thank you.
Angie

lkc15507

Angie,

First of all I am NOT an expert is Medicaid and Medicare services. However, I'm going to take a stab at what may be some helpful information for you. Medicaid / Medicare is a massive topic with no easy answers. Medicaid is a program administered by each state, generally for people of low income. The federal goverment has established broad, general guidelines for the administration of Medicaid services, however it is left to each state to determine the eligibility of each applicant and types of services to be administered. "Medically needy" persons may be able to "spend down" in order to qualify for Medicaid services. It is not clear from your post exactly how you qualified for Medicaid, nor on what basis you were ultimately disqualified.

That said, I now want to mention "Social Security Disability Insurance" (SSDI) and "Supplemental Security Income" (SSI). These are federal programs to provide assistance to individuals with disabilities (two of many). SSDI is based on having "earned" credits through employment history and SSI is based on financial need. These programs are administered by the Social Security Administration. Numerous states base their definition of "disability" on the definition used by the SSA, I believe KS is one of those states. That definition of disability in the pure form is really quite strict. Applying that definition to individuals is a long process. Also, if one qualifies for SSDI, after 24 months they will become eligible for MediCARE.

I am assuming and reading between the lines, but your post leads me to suspect that prior to your transplant you had been employed and were perhaps on "disability" provided by your employer rather than an actual declaration of disability by your state or the SSA. (Disability income provided by an employer will end when, in a nutshell, they determine it ends--after all FMLA eligibility, vacation hours, sick hours, coverage provided by a collective bargaining agreement etc. has expired.) The SSA has a "list" of conditions qualifying one for "disability". A condition must be on the list or of equal severity. (I am going to provide a couple of links that provide alot of consumer friendly infomation about these disability programs.) An organ transplant does not automatically qualify one for a disability determination. In fact, most gastrointestinal problems respond to treatment (including transplant) and ultimately allow a person to return to some type of employment. A simple self-determination (or even your physician determination) is not sufficient to qualify for "disability". One must jump through all the proper hoops to prove you cannot return to the same type of work or adapt to another type of work.

All that said, I suggest:
1. visit these sites (and search for others) to educate yourself on disability
www.ssa.gov/disability (you can actually apply online)
www.cms.gov and follow the links for disability and Medicaid

2. contact your local SSA and state Medicaid offices to determine how you qualify and why you were disqualified

3. ***use the social worker on the transplant team at your transplant facility as a resource and helper--there are programs sponsored by transplant organizations and even pharmaceutical companies that may be able to provide assistance with your immunosuppressive medications. (Again, not an expert, but prescription drug coverage through Medicaid or Medicare, even if you qualify for disability is very iffy at best.)

4. be prepared to contact an attorney experienced in SSDI if you do chose to apply--it's not an easy process

and the last, this is going to seem cruel to you, but I think it needs to be said...

ask yourself and your physicians if you are truly disabled. I am a nurse and am familiar with transplant patients. I even have a niece who is the recipient of a liver transplant. I realize that severe, chronic liver disease may be disabling, but a liver transplant in itself is not disabling. Quite the contrary. Many transplant recipients of all types are able to return to employment.

I hope I have not assumed too much and I wish the best for you. If you have more information to clarify your post, there are several people on the forum that may be able to help you further.

lkc15507

Last edited:
A

Angdiel

I am sorry that I was very vague in my first e-mail and would like to tell you more about my situation. But first I want to say thank you so much for your reply and advise.
Well, here goes....my story.
My transplant did not go as well as most, in fact my doctors are amazed that I am still alive today. They even said that my case was "one in five million".
To tell a little more about my situation, I have Lupus and have had it for 23 years now. I am not sure if you know alot about this disease, but my body attacks itself and in this case my liver. Therefore,I had to be transplanted.
Post transplant, was awful! I spent three months in ICU. I had seizures, a brain bleed, I had such high fevers I had to be put on ice(the fevers were around 105 at times), a collapsed lung (which left me on oxygen for over a year), I have sever nerve damage (my feet and legs feel as if they were frozen and they are starting to defrost all the time), I had to undergo three months of daily chemo therapy, (I think my children were afraid to touch me and were more scared of the way I looked since I was bald and weighed 75 pounds), I had daily blood transfusions for two months, and due to the chemo I now have heart trouble.
It took me a year to be able to walk again. I am still working on getting my muscles back from being bed and wheelchair bound. I have sever leg cramping (for this I take Quinine). You see, I might be able to work, but with with the pain I have and the problems I experience it has been difficult to look for work. I am also wondering who would insure me if I returned to work with the pre-existing conditions that I have.
I do currently receive SSI and I have contacted an attorney to help me with my case. I am wondering how many other people are out there like me who need their meds and are in need of SSI that are being denied and how many don't need it and are abusing the system to the point where others cannot get it.

Thank you for responding and please feel free to write me back.
Angie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">