• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SOSPARHAM

Athens, Georgia Medicaid Question

I am a single mother who gave birth to a little girl 2 years ago. I was covered by Medicaid throughout the pregnancy. Her father was killed when I was 3 months pregnant. About once a month the hospital requested my Medicaid card and I always showed it to them. I remember about a week before giving birth a sign was put up requesting Medicaid be shown at EVERY visit. None of the staff asked me for it. I preregistered with the hospital, again showing my Medicaid card. Now 2 years later, I have been served with a civil suit from a collection agency used by the hospital. They are requesting monies for the whole birth, practically ($2k+). I called Medicaid and was mailed proof of coverage. The collection agency denied this and said it was invalid and my coverage expired 6 months after a monthly card was issued. The collection agency is insistent that I owe the entire amount and nothing can be done about it. I feel as though I did everything I was supposed to at the time of my pregnancy and this isn't right. Even when I gave birth the hospital couldn't find my preregistration information. Why am I responsible for a hospital's wrongdoing? I have written to the governor and I'm waiting for a response. I have been given numerous telephone numbers which haven't produced as much as a voice on the other end of the line. I am getting no where. I don't remember much from my preganancy, I was extremely depressed. But I know I did have Medicaid and whenever I was asked to show it I had it with me. Is there any hope for me? Or am I responsible for all this money?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">