• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical and Life Insurance Benefit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dirtman1

What is the name of your state? California

I was married this summer, thus I gave my employer notice to acquire insurance coverage for my spouse.

They gave me the appropriate insurance forms to fill out, but advised me that they will not provide life insurance coverage for her, and was additionally told that they will determine how much the medical insurance premium will be for my wife then let me know how much it will be. They plan to deduct this amount from my paycheck.

I know for a fact that my co-worker, who was hired at a later date than I, is not paying for his and his wife's medical/life insurance premiums, but it strikes me that I do....

I briefly spoke with the insurance provider and they've carefully mentioned that my employer cannot do this..but they won't elaborate further.

Is this legal? What's my recourse?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Dirtman1 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I was married this summer, thus I gave my employer notice to acquire insurance coverage for my spouse.

They gave me the appropriate insurance forms to fill out, but advised me that they will not provide life insurance coverage for her, and was additionally told that they will determine how much the medical insurance premium will be for my wife then let me know how much it will be. They plan to deduct this amount from my paycheck.

I know for a fact that my co-worker, who was hired at a later date than I, is not paying for his and his wife's medical/life insurance premiums, but it strikes me that I do....

I briefly spoke with the insurance provider and they've carefully mentioned that my employer cannot do this..but they won't elaborate further.

Is this legal? What's my recourse?

If you are asking if your employer has to pay for a non-employee's insurance, the answer is no.

Dirtman1

Senior Judge / Zephyr-

Thank you so much for the information.

Based on your responses, I clearly misunderstood our insurance provider when I was told that any employer need to be consistent with their medical/dental coverages i.e. employee insurance provisions/coverages need to be universally consistent and not selective.

Nonetheless, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you.

Regards-

Zephyr

Dirtman1 said:
Senior Judge / Zephyr-

Thank you so much for the information.

Based on your responses, I clearly misunderstood our insurance provider when I was told that any employer need to be consistent with their medical/dental coverages i.e. employee insurance provisions/coverages need to be universally consistent and not selective.

Nonetheless, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you.

Regards-

I should amend my previous post to say that employees in the same class should get the same coverage, the new employee may be classified differently than you, benefits are a huge area of negotiation between employers and prospective employees, they may have negotiated for better benefits in return for slightly less pay

Dirtman1

Zephyr-

I am doing due diligence in my situation. Of course, my pri**** concern really lies in the ultimate insurance coverages I need to provide for my wife, whether or not I have to pay for it myself.

Persons I mentioned in my employment (co-workers) happen to be in the same department as I am. The latest hire is covered under the same insurance umbrella/provider I am covered with - with the lone exception that he's married during hiring, while I wasn't. Which, according to our insurance provider, shouldn't make any differences. If the employer is providing spousal coverages for one, they are obligated to do so for everyone - as long as they are in the same department working a full time employees. For instance, my life insurance cannot be terminated unless they terminate everyone else's. Likewise I cannot be made to pay for coverages that other employees are being freely provided for.

It's in the 'application' stages right now, so I need to wait when the coverage has taken effect and if deductions are made on my pay.

As always, thank you for your response.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I would disagree that all employees in the same department have to be treated identically. Rather, I would say that all employees in the same POSITION have to be treated equally.

It would be legal to allow (as an example) a particular benefit to all managers, but not to clerks. It would be legal to allow a benefit to all full time employees, but not to part time. Office vs. shop. Directors vs. non-directors.

But, having established which groups of employees are and are not entitled to a benefit, all employees in that group would have to be offered that benefit.

Dirtman1

Hello cbg-

My fault for not being a bit more specific.

The latest hire is an addition to our department that have the exact same position, doing the exact same type of work I do.

We are in the field of construction and development. We are in the Engineering/Estimating department, and the position/title we hold is commonly referred to as Estimators.

Apologies for the ambivalence in my previous post/s.

Thank you.

Gadfly

I assume you have already compared the plans at your work vs your wife's place. Maybe her employers offers a better deal, or maybe it's less expensive for each of you to take your respective employers program. At my work our spouse +1 plan is $400 per month. Hers is about the same, but if she takes hers and I take mine we each only pay $5.00 per month.

Dirtman1

Hello Gadfly-

I just now received notice from my employer regarding the coverage. They asked me how they would like me to 'deduct' the money from my check/pay to pay for the coverage. Apparently, it is $500.00/month.

Unfortunately, my wife is not working at this time. She's still trying to finish her degree, hence no option but to go through my employer. I have been advised against trying to buy insurance through an independent broker as it's both far more expensive with less benefits.

I am still 'shocked' how I am being made to pay for this when it isn't with everyone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">