• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Benefit laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tucxie

I live in VA.
My employer has decided to limit the medical coverage to only non working spouses because apparently, the spouses are incurring a large chunk of the claims.... When the company started, they mostly hired young male freshly graduated which today are in their early 30s and ready to have baby but as male, do not incur any claim in the baby making process.
So the majority of the non working spouses are female in their early 30s and ready to have a baby, so about to incur serious claims.
I found this disturbing at several levels and sounds like discrimination to me.
Is it?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Enasni is correct. The decision to limit coverage to spouses who do not have access to their own insurance is not only a legal one, but one that is becomig increasingly common.

It is not illegal discrimination since it is not RESTRICTED to female spouses. A male spouse with access to his own coverage would also not be eligible; therefore, there is no illegal discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">