• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Benefits fiasco

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

griffinic

California:
When first hired, I opted to enroll in Medical and Dental coverage. When the enrollment period began, turns out I was only provided with Dental coverage by my employer. However, my pay check was being deducted for Dental AND Medical coverage.

I have since been laid off (only 2 months after coverage began) and the benefits debate was left unresolved. I am now requesting that I simply receive a refund for the amount put towards Medical Benefits (totalling over $800) since I was in fact NEVER ENROLLED.

My employer refuses to refund the deduction and says I WAS enrolled...however, the actual insurance carrier denies ever receiving the request for medical and only has me recorded for dental benefits.
What can I do??

:(What is the name of your state?

averad

I highly doubt you will receive any money back because if you did have a claim submitted I bet your eligibility would have been corrected. They have no reason to spend the time correcting your account if you had no claims.

Was your Insurance payments taken pre tax?

If you were still employed would you still be seeking a refund or would you want the eligibility corrected?

Last edited:

griffinic

Thanks for the info...

I was seeking reimbursement because I did in fact have to visit the doctor during my supposed enrollment period and ended up having to save my receipts for a possible claim submission. The doctor at that time was the one who informed me that I had NO COVERAGE with the insurance carrier. This is when I brought it to the attention of my employer.

If I was still there, I would be seeking enrollment...at the original date it should have started. But, now that I'm no longer employed it seems impossible for them to be able to reverse this...right??

rmet4nzkx

griffinic said:
Thanks for the info...

I was seeking reimbursement because I did in fact have to visit the doctor during my supposed enrollment period and ended up having to save my receipts for a possible claim submission. The doctor at that time was the one who informed me that I had NO COVERAGE with the insurance carrier. This is when I brought it to the attention of my employer.

If I was still there, I would be seeking enrollment...at the original date it should have started. But, now that I'm no longer employed it seems impossible for them to be able to reverse this...right??
Well then see what the IRL says since you did try to use your coverage and only then discovered that it was not activated. If you can't place a claim through the IRL try small claims court. Was your complaint re insurance related to your layoff?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I would also suggest talking to the US DOL about a possible ERISA/COBRA violation. Obviously the carrier is not going to accept you for COBRA coverage if they don't have you as enrolled in the first place. It is a violation of ERISA for them to take your premium payment and not provide you with coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">