• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical bill liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rhoada

What is the name of your state? I live in Tennessee. 5 years ago (April 1997) my daughter had kidney reconstruction surgery. At the time I had full medical benefits. About 6 months after the surgery, the company I was working for folded as with the insurance company. All medical bills for my daughters surgery had been filed way before this time and I was guaranteed they would pay their part. I heard NOTHING from the hospital for 2 years. No monthly billing statements and no phone calls. Then they send me a nasty letter saying the claim has still not been paid. I in turn faxed them all the information I had on the bankruptcy filing and court case numbers, anything and everything I had to send them I did. Again, nothing for 3 years now, no monthly billing statements, no phone calls, nothing until tonight. I received a call from a collection agency for the hospital stating "our case had shown up on the computer system" so they wanted to call and see what the situation was. I told them I presumed since I had not heard anything in 3 years that all had been paid. I feel I am about to be served with court papers for this matter. Am I legally liable for a bill that I have heard nothing about in 3 years?? Should they not go after the insurance company first? Do I not have any rights to fight this matter with?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless the policy was self-insured, your beef is with the insurance carrier, not with the employer. The fact that the employer went bankrupt is immaterial. By all means, contact the insurance company and see what they can tell you. If you need more help after you talk to them, post back.

R

Rhoada

I understand what you are saying. I have a huge problem tho, the insurance company no longer exsists. The insurance company and my former employer were all tied in together. Now what should I do?? I have no idea how or where to begin to see if anyone received any payments from the bankruptcy settlement or if anything has even been settled.............

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Talk to your state insurance commission. They should be able to provide some guidelines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">