• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Bill responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Upsetparent

I am the primary caregiver for my daughter. However, there is no custody order to that effect. In the past, my child's father has provided health insurance for her. My daugther's dr. is claiming that there are costs that his insurance has not paid (despite the visits being over 1.5 years ago, the dr. just informed me). At the time his insurance was used, I told the dr. that it was his insurance and he was the financially responsible party. The dr. has communicated with him directly regarding balances in the past. The dr. has now refuses to call him directly regarding her claim. She has sent me "invoices" that I in turn forwarded to him. I have had serious issues with this dr. regarding monies she claimed I owed her (which had been paid). She even tried to charge me for an amount my insurance said was an improper charge. Based on my past issues with her, I am not sure if he owes the money. The dr made no attempt to contact him and sent the item to collections in my name. Can I be held responsible for this "debt" when I notified the dr at the time service was rendered that my child's father was the responsible party and even more importantly, I have no way to know if the debt is valid? I am a resident of New York State.

ecmst12

Both parents are equally responsible and he can go after either or both of you. Why don't you try TALKING to your ex to find out what's going on with the insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">