• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Bills + joint judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Any Hope

What is the name of your state? SD

My husband and his ex girlfriend had a child in 1999. The girlfriend had insurance of her own and my husband had coverage for the child that was born. A joint judgement was obtained against them because outstanding medical bills from the birth of the child were not paid.

Legally, is my husband responsible for the medical bills of the girlfriend? or just the child's share of the expenses?

All medical bills were mailed to the girlfriend (because she was the patient).

I have been trying to negotiate with the debt collector about this so we can get this off my husband's credit in order to purchase a house.

Below is the wording they used...will this mean we will be able to buy a house or not?

"...it was agreed that, upon receipt of $XXXX, XXXX's obligation of the judgement for the above referenced account, will be satisfied. XXXX's name will be removed from the judgement and a partial satisfaction of judgement will be issued as proof. This does not, in any way, affect any credit bureau reports."

Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer me. :)

JETX

Since a judgment has been rendered naming your husband as a co-debtor, he is responsible for the amount stated in the judgment.
The creditor can collect from either debtor up to the full amount of the judgment.

A

Any Hope

Even though it was a default judgement and when we first found out about it we requested validation which they were not able to provide?

JETX

"Even though it was a default judgement and when we first found out about it we requested validation which they were not able to provide?"
*** 'They' don't have to 'validate' a judgment. The 'right of validation' is given by the FDCPA and only applies to third party collectors. They only thing required to 'validate' this one would be a copy of the judgment naming him as a judgment debtor..... and that can be received from the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">