• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bills of spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barbara1948

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

Are my inherited stocks (which have not been co-mingled) part of the monies required to be used for medical debt for my spouse's medical bills? He has no insurance and has been in ICU for 9 days. Our home and a few thousand dollars in the bank are our only other assets.

If they are not protected, is there any way I can now partition them in court so that I will not be responsible for ongoing medical debt after today?

Thank you so much for helping.

Barbara

TigerD

You need to talk to a LA lawyer -- your state is quite a bit different than the rest. In most other states, you are on the hook for your spouses medical care ... but LA is different in many things.

DC

ecmst12

Medical bills are something that is typically owed by both spouses, so it will be your debt as much as his. So yes, your assets are vulnerable, should you be sued. Hopefully you can work out a payment plan so they won't have to sue you. Have you tried applying for Medicaid for him? It can be retroactive if he qualifies.

barbara1948

Thank you.

I had already spoken with the hospital to see about a payment plan. I will also see about the medicaid. Thank you for taking the time to answer my query. Barbara

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">