• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


What is the name of your state? IL

My husband & his ex-wife has been divorced for several years now in their divorce decree is says:

The Respondent (my husband) shall be responsible for one half of any and all Medical and Dental expenses incurred on behalf of the parties minor children until the minor children reach emancipation or the age of 18, whichever occurs first.

What is going on is about once a year the ex-wife who is now remarried will complain that her husband has to go to court to get his check garnished for medical bills over the children. My husband has agreed anyway to pay his half on the bills. All he ask from her was a bill/statments to show what is owed and how much. She has never showed him anything.

The ex-wife keep saying that her husband can go and sue the dad for back medical bills that he has covered so far. If and when she or her husband really decides to take dad to court for medical bills, will he have a chance to explain to the judge why he hasn't paid anything?

Will the judge be able to see that my husband should not be paying money for something he has no proof of? Will he first order ex-wife to show proof before having dad pay anything to the companies?


Senior Member
She must provide him with receipts to show proof of payment. He should send her a registered, certified letter (return receipt requested) reminding her that he cannot pay what she refuses to prove he owes.

Likely if this went to court, your husband will be ordered to pay, but she will have to prove her expenses with receipts.



I was thinking about the same thing but wouldn't it help if she would just give him a copy of a bill when she receives it or any bills for that matter?

I kinda wonder why she complains about him not paying his half but what does she expect him just pay out money not knowing what its going for actually.


Senior Member
if she does take take you to court over it, motion to modify and ask that you be presented with a bill within 30 days of the charge being incurred, or she becomes responsible for the full amount.

also request that you both pay your shares directly to the medical provider.

Another good thing to add is anyone who goes outside of the ins. network for treatment is fully responsible for the charges incurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential