• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Collection Never received a Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Italnstallion99

I need some advice. I had a procedure in a hospital back in February. All of a sudden last week I get a call from a collection agency for $280.00 for the same date of service I was in the hospital for a radiology charge. Now it's possible there is a separate charge for the radiology portion of the procedure I had. The problem is I never received a bill and it was turned over to the collection agency in June. When I spoke to the collection agency they had an old address I have not lived at in over 20 years. This is why I did not receive anything in the mail.

The collection agency provided me with what they have and all it says is the amount, account number and my name. I need more information such as the procedure being billed, etc. The collection agency is going to work on getting me that information from the medical imaging center. However they said it may not be possible. I am going to reach out to the imaging center myself on Monday and see what they can provide me.

It also looks like this procedure was never submitted to my medical insurance. Does anyone know if there is a timeline to submit a medical claim to insurance? This is not my mistake and it should have been submitted with the hospital procedure. I had no issues with the hospital when it came to billing for the portion of the hospital charges.

Another issue is the collection agency is telling me this has to be paid by 9/20 or they will be putting this on my credit file. They said once a copy of the actual bill is furnished they can look into submitting to the insurance company but not sure if it is possible at this point.

Any suggestions?

FlyingRon

You'll typically get billed in a hospital situation for both the radiology (the use of the X-ray or whatever) machine as well as the Radiologist (the doctor who gives his report on the film).

First off, understand collection agencies are a bunch of lying lowlife scum. Do not believe anything they say.

It's really up to you to make sure everything gets paid and submitted to the insurer.

What did the collection agency give you as the name of the creditor? Was it the Hospital itself or some firm like "Podunk Radiology" or a doctor's name? Whatever it is, call them immediately. Tell them you want to pay them but never got the bill. Offer to pay them on the phone or immediately and to call off the collection hounds. Then ask them to update your address and insurance information and ask them if they can also submit the bill to your insurance agent.

At the same time (Monday morning likely), call your insurer and tell them what is going on and ask them how to proceed on the claim.

adjusterjack

Does anyone know if there is a timeline to submit a medical claim to insurance?
That would be written into your insurance plan. Usually a year but yours may be different so read it or call the claims department Monday.

First off, understand collection agencies are a bunch of lying lowlife scum. Do not believe anything they say.
Agree with that. And don't count on them to do anything for you. Fixing this is entirely up to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">