• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical college clinical hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smerritt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We are required to have work/clinical rotation every week totaling 36 hours. Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday 6:00 am to 6:30 pm. After the shift Wednesdays, we are told that we have to go to the college to sit for a test at 6:30 pm and stay until 10:00 pm. The test is already material covered, as we are done with our curriculum, so learning nothing new but we have to sit there because the Dean says so.

My question is: Is it legal to require or have it be mandatory for students to work 16 hour days in a clinical rotation? if we leave the class part, after the test, we are docked on our grade, so it holds us there because we do not want to fail.

Any help on this would be appreciated

Thank you
Shannon M

Just Blue

We are required to have work/clinical rotation every week totaling 36 hours. Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday 6:00 am to 6:30 pm. After the shift Wednesdays, we are told that we have to go to the college to sit for a test at 6:30 pm and stay until 10:00 pm. The test is already material covered, as we are done with our curriculum, so learning nothing new but we have to sit there because the Dean says so.

My question is: Is it legal to require or have it be mandatory for students to work 16 hour days in a clinical rotation? if we leave the class part, after the test, we are docked on our grade, so it holds us there because we do not want to fail.

Thank you
Shannon M
IMO it is legal. It is also common knowledge that harsh educational/working expectation are required. Did no one explain this to you in your Pre-Med classes?????:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There have of recent years been changes to the hours that can be required of medical students. However, to the best of my knowledge the hours you've described are within the legal limits. I'm sure your Dean knows what the rules are.

LdiJ

Thank you
Shannon M
You are in medical school. Part of your training is to actually work in a clinical rotation and be paid for that work. The other part is you still being in medical school and requiring you to attend class for exams or other issues. I would consider those to be entirely separate issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">