• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ It is getting to the end of the year and we are trying to settle up on all medical. My court order says this: "Respondent shall pay 63% of any uninsured medical/dental expnses and the other party shall pay the remainder. The first 157.50 per child per year shall be paid by the Petitioner (me), and the first 92.50 per child per year shall be paid by Respondent (totals $250 and is derived from the parties' respective percentages of combined adjusted gross income.) The first $250 per child per year is excluded from any reimbursement for the incurring party."

It throws me off because of the 157.50 and 97.50. but I understood it to mean that I pay the first 250.00 in copays when they are with me and then 37% after that and he pays the first 250.00 while with him. Father says that he only has to pay 92.50 a year per child in addition to the medical and or dental he pays. Could someone explain this to me so that I will understand it. I had asked the lawyer to explain and he read it but never explained it.

Also I have noticed on the standard form the judge used to order support it says "the Respondent is responsible for providing medical and/ or dental insurance for the children." Is there something I can do to get this changed to insure that he has to provide medical and dental is his choice. He is saying he can drop medical and only cover dental. This worries me because my children both have on going medical conditions. He has dropped insurance before and after a couple weeks he picked it up again. Is it normal for the noncustodial parent to have the choice of providing medical or dental?

So, it isn't just confusing to me? I have never made him responsible for these costs since 2003 because of this. In previous years they didn't really have bad medical bills but this year was just crazy with no dental insurance or vision insurance, and my daughter has had several asthma flares.

Last edited:

LdiJ

So, it isn't just confusing to me? I have never made him responsible for these costs since 2003 because of this. In previous years they didn't really have bad medical bills but this year was just crazy with no dental insurance or vision insurance, and my daughter has had several asthma flares.
I think that its completely confusing. Which is why I think that you need to take it back to court for clarification as well.

No offence to any lawyers of judges here but holy sheep sh*t. I have spent a lot of money that I could have used for college and I still have orders that I need to take back to court and clairify.

LdiJ

No offence to any lawyers of judges here but holy sheep sh*t. I have spent a lot of money that I could have used for college and I still have orders that I need to take back to court and clairify.
Unfortunately, orders get poorly written sometimes. When that happens the only real solution is to take them back to court for clarification.

Is this something I can do on my own without going to court? This judge has completely made a mess of this whole thing, when we first filed I worked 2 jobs teaching during the school year, and daycare during the summer. He put that I worked 2 full-time jobs at the same time and made twice as much as what I made.

I had to take him back to clairify then and the judge yelled at me because I was bringing this childsupport order back. Then when I finally got the chance to explain I don't work 2 jobs at once, which I had explained the first time in court with the check stub and taxes, he took it into consideration and 30 days later he had corrected it. By the end though, I was in tears because I was one of those mothers "who will not be happy with a court order"

It was horrible, this judge will be retiring soon, so what happens if I wait till he is gone? I don't have faith that he can get it right this time. The child support order this time is all his creation and it is a mess. On another page it doesn't mention anything about other amounts it simply states mom pays x and dad pays y for medical copays. How long is dad responsible for back medical co-pays? I don't think I can get to court by the end of the year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">