• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Coverage + Day Care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SnowandIceGuy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

When my support was set, I did not have medical coverage. My child is covered fully under his mother's health care coverage, and I pay half her costs. Now I do have medical coverage at my job, which is equivalent to what she has. Do I legally have to add my son to my health care coverage in addition to his mother's coverage?

Second question: my child is now 12 years old. I am paying for half his daycare, but he no longer attends daycare and hasn't for many years, since he started going to school. Does his mother need to show receipts to continue asking for me to pay for half the daycare?

Thank you.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

When my support was set, I did not have medical coverage. My child is covered fully under his mother's health care coverage, and I pay half her costs. Now I do have medical coverage at my job, which is equivalent to what she has. Do I legally have to add my son to my health care coverage in addition to his mother's coverage?

Second question: my child is now 12 years old. I am paying for half his daycare, but he no longer attends daycare and hasn't for many years, since he started going to school. Does his mother need to show receipts to continue asking for me to pay for half the daycare?

Thank you.
what exactly does your court order state in regards to health care? is it you cover insurance, period? or mom covers insurance and you reimburse mom? or is it both ith you holding a secondary premium?

as for the daycare issue, i'd take that to court and modify that.

SnowandIceGuy

what exactly does your court order state in regards to health care? is it you cover insurance, period? or mom covers insurance and you reimburse mom? or is it both ith you holding a secondary premium?
The order says that I reimburse her for half her premiums and co-pays But what if she took me back to court to change the court order? Can she make me also cover him under my policy?

as for the daycare issue, i'd take that to court and modify that.
The last time we were in court, I asked for her receipts. The judge said she didn't have to have any. He took her word for it.

Isis1

The order says that I reimburse her for half her premiums and co-pays But what if she took me back to court to change the court order? Can she make me also cover him under my policy?
then follow the court order. if your premiums are MUCH cheaper then hers, you may want to consider a modification. however, keep in mind if all doctor's/dentists have to change it might just be better to keep the same premium.

The last time we were in court, I asked for her receipts. The judge said she didn't have to have any. He took her word for it

depending on the age of the child, it might have just been obvious the child needed daycare at the time. at this age, is there an after school program available?

SnowandIceGuy

then follow the court order. if your premiums are MUCH cheaper then hers, you may want to consider a modification. however, keep in mind if all doctor's/dentists have to change it might just be better to keep the same premium.
Her premiums are much cheaper than mine. Mine would cost me $320/mo to add him, and hers are about a quarter of that. But I heard that both parents could be made to carry full coverage.

depending on the age of the child, it might have just been obvious the child needed daycare at the time. at this age, is there an after school program available?
Well, he was 8 at the time and in school. She was not using daycare, but she lied and incredibly, the judge did not ask her for any receipts. I could not believe it.

Isis1

Her premiums are much cheaper than mine. Mine would cost me $320/mo to add him, and hers are about a quarter of that. But I heard that both parents could be made to carry full coverage.
she could ask, but it would really be pointless. it's been doing it's purpose so far. unless child has an enormous amout of medical bills stemming from a medical problem double coverage isn't necessary. unless of course there's a constant history of unemployment on either side. a double coverage would ensure coverage at all times.

Well, he was 8 at the time and in school. She was not using daycare, but she lied and incredibly, the judge did not ask her for any receipts. I could not believe it.

did you offer an alternative to child care. or right off the bat insinuate mom was a liar? cuz that would have done it for a judge.

SnowandIceGuy

did you offer an alternative to child care. or right off the bat insinuate mom was a liar? cuz that would have done it for a judge.
I know the hours he was in school. I know her work schedule. Both of these are easy to establish. She works during the time he is in school and there is no time when he's home that she or her husband are not. Yet she claimed, extraordinarily, that he was in daycare for 40 hours a week. I figured the judge, like any sensible person, would see that this is simply not possible. But he didn't. I didn't bring a lawyer that time because I figured it would be a slam dunk, but I guess this time I will have to hire one, because without one, I got trampled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">