• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Coverage for Spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meearle

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am currently seperated and have been since August 2001. I have filed the papers for my divorce and the Sheriff's department is attempting to serve my spouse. I have provided health insurance coverage for my child and my spouse. My spouse works for the government and can get insurance now since it's open enrollment. I advised my spouse to make arrangements to get coverage now because as of the end of the year my benefits change and I don't feel I should have to pay for my spouse once we are divorced. The divorce hopefully will be final by the end of the year or at least before the next open enrollment. I would like to know if I can drop my spouse from my health insurance at anytime with proper notice especially now because it's open enrollment. I don't plan on keeping my spouse on my health plan after the divorce so I figured it would be better to get it straight now.

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To all intents and purposes, that is a contractual, rather than a legal question. Although there are legal guidelines that must be followed, the answer to your question will have to come from someone either in your HR department or at your insurance carrier. It's going to depend on your plan document.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">