• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ogar

my wife works for a large well known chain store, she is being told that she must use that stores pharmacy or she will have to pay full price for our sons prescription. I find it hard to believe that this is legal. Is it legal ,can an employer dictate with pharmacy you can use???

quincy

If the chain store pharmacy gives a prescription discount to employees, I am not sure why you wouldn't want to take advantage of that benefit.

Of course you can get your prescriptions filled wherever you want to, but it can be smart to call and compare costs. Drug companies often "pair" with certain pharmacies and these pharmacies will offer lower cost.

For a Michigan example: At Meijer's pharmacies, you can get amoxicillin for free whereas it can be expensive at other pharmacies. At Walmart pharmacies, you get a better price on insulin.

The pharmacy is your choice but, because drugs can be costly, it pays to shop around.

eerelations

OP, I'm having a little trouble understanding your issue. Are you saying that you would rather your wife's employer didn't offer her this opportunity to save money?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your wife's employer is not dictating what pharmacy she can use; they are explaining the terms under which she is eligible for a discount. There is nothing even remotely illegal about that.

It's no different than a HMO plan "dictating" what doctors you can use. Perfectly legal.

justalayman

Is it legal ,can an employer dictate with pharmacy you can use???
They are doing no such thing. All they are doing is telling you at what pharmacy you will recieve a discounted price based on her employment. They do not have to subsidize the cost at any other pharmacy. It is an employee benefit.

If this is based on insurance coverage, refer to the policy to determine if the insurance offers subsidies at any other pharmacy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">