• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Discharges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lightarms

What is the name of your state? Ft Stewart, Georgia

So my back and knees are messed up from Iraq when I was hit by a VBIED. Wasn't really bad to where I had to go to the hospital. Just got a whole bunch of drugs to fight the pain while I finished off a few more months in Iraq. Got back to Georgia in November. Been on a dead mans profile every month. Doctors don't know whats wrong with me.

Question is does anybody know a website army, dod, gov whatever that maybe has a list of different grounds for a medical discharge? I only read DoD Directive 1332.18 but that didn't really help. I'm curious about the different problems that can send you to MEB and was wondering if my problems could get me a MEB. I'm betting I can since I can't really do anything without pain...and I would just be a liability to my fellow soldiers in a dangerous situation if anything happened. If I could get MEB what am I looking at for disability benefits? How do they figure the % out?

pattimelt

I have 2 places that might help you..

This first one is a website forum full of information from people that have been thru the MEB process either while active duty or as vets thru the VA.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

This other site has the Federal regulations on disability payments, and what constitutes disability..

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=d741c52f7d5b47cff93ecd0ec686fc0a&rgn=div5&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5&idno=38

Hope one or both of these help you.

You can also read AR 40-501 and AR 635-40. If you go the USAHRC website thru AKO, you'll find a link to the Physical Disability Agency which can educate you on the process.

Do you have a permanent profile? If so, is it a P3 or P4? Unless a doctor refers you directly to an MEB/PEB, a soldier with a P3 or P4 permanent profile goes thru a MMRB (MOS/Medical Retention Board) first. That board can either find you fit for duty in your current MOS, recommend reclassification into another MOS, or find that you may not meet medical retention standards and refer you for MEB/PEB. If you want to know more, go to above links.

If you're looking for a quick way out, this is not it. And, no one could say at this point what % disability you may or may not get. Which, of course, determines the benefits you will receive.

And VA benefits are another ball of wax. For more information about that, go to www.va.gov. When is your ETS?

Lightarms

Thanks for the websites guys, its been a lot of good information for me. I only now started going to Sick Call and the hospital about my back and knee injuries. I only have been getting month long profiles for 4 months now which basically say I can't do anything. Hopefully I can get a P3 eventually. I get out 23Feb09, no I'm not trying to get out but if the oppurtunity arrises I might take it. I wouild prefer to be able to stay in and get deployed a 2nd time to Iraq so I can get some good money in the now 15 month mandatory deployments to pay off my truck and still have like 20k plus left over for living off of when I ETS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">