• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical disclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanita35

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA. I am currently pregnant and up until very recently under alot of stress at work (I am out on STD). My therapist had suggested several times that I consider taking some leave at work or finding out other options at work to relief some of the stress. Also my blood pressure has been high which is a major concern while pregnant. I went to my executive director (we don't have an hr dpt. and she makes all the decisions; its a small agency) to talk to her about some options, my therapist's recommendation, and my pregnancy related issues. During the talk she told me that she knews that I suffer from depression. I don't know how she knows this information since I never disclosed it to work and i'm shocked that she would throw it out there to me. After she said that to me I did fully disclose that I have depression and anxiety and that I have been off of my meds due to the pregnancy. I thought we were having a confidential conversation, but the next day when I wanted to make sure she was keeping my health information confidential she told me that she had disclosed not only my mental health conditions with my direct supervisor but that i wasn't taking any meds. Isn't this illegal and a violation? I asked her if she is going to disclose this to anyone else and she said that not right now but she might have to if it comes up again with another supervisor. She is only focusing on the mental health though. Now i feel really uncomfortable at work. When I expressed to my director that I was not comfortable with her disclosing this to anyone she told me that I need to get over it and feel more comfortable telling people about it. My direct supervisor is also avoiding me. I have a feeling that my director now wants to get rid of me because she sees me as a liability. I had to go on STD due to pre-eclampsia (bp high and protein in urine) and I was asked for my building key and work cell phone which I don't think they have done to anyone else who's ever gone on STD before. What are my options here? Do I have grounds to file a report with the ADA or the EEOC? Is there a case here?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You said it is a small agency. How small are we talking about? And what industry?

ecmst12

I think it's relevent information for your direct supervisor to know when dealing with you, since it may affect your performance.

Beth3

During the talk she told me that she knews that I suffer from depression. I don't know how she knows this information since I never disclosed it to work and i'm shocked that she would throw it out there to me. Chances are she made an educated guess. It's sometimes fairly easy to spot someone who may be suffering from depression.

she had disclosed not only my mental health conditions with my direct supervisor but that i wasn't taking any meds. Isn't this illegal and a violation? (1) No, and (2) your supervisor needs to know what's going on with you.

I had to go on STD due to pre-eclampsia (bp high and protein in urine) and I was asked for my building key and work cell phone which I don't think they have done to anyone else who's ever gone on STD before. You are out on indefinite leave with an unknown return date. Asking for your keys and company phone is perfectly reasonable.

Do I have grounds to file a report with the ADA or the EEOC? I don't see any valid reason to make a claim. If your employer has less than 20 employees, then federal discrimination laws don't apply.

I don't see anything that suggests your employer has acted wrongfully. You're going through a tough time - pregnancy complications and you're off your medicaton. It appears you may be reading things into the situation that don't exist. May I suggest you relax and take care of yourself for now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">