• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

katell

forgive me I'm still learning this posting system.
My question is: My ex decided at our last court date to slam me with medical bills starting from back in 1998 up til present.
Our last court date was june of 2002. Isn't there some kinda of limitation he has to submit bills to me? Or am I still responsible for them even though he's held them all back for a few years?

E

Esimon1

In most cases, the bill should have been submitted to the other party within the 30 days due period. You should have gotten copies of those bills BEFORE they were due, not years later.
The judge will probably tell him that since he didn't furnish them before the billing due date, that he forfeits, and is responsible for the entire payments on all bills. You may want to consult an attorney just to be sure, but I'm pretty certain, otherwise, he can save up medical bills for 10 years and then just slam you with them? Don't think so.

tater_tot

medical expenses ? here too

I'm in Virginia also, and what about when your ex is the one who has taken the child (or children) to the doctor/hospital and all you get is the insurance papers (because it's my insurance) and you end up being the only one who pays the bills (and mind you if I don't pay it all and my ex doesn't pay her part, which she won't, then they still come after me, because I'm the guarantor, because it's my insurance), and then when I try to send copies of the insurance and receipts where I've paid to my ex she refuses the mail and it gets sent back to me. Believe me I still have everything, and she knows about it, and I have a lawyer, but what are you to do? I mean in essence I'm paying very close to 100% of my kids medical plus carrying the insurance. What am I paying child support for? Before anyone takes that remark the wrong way, please look up past posts to see my situation.

kat1963

katell, what did the judge say? If you were ordered to pay the back bills in June, then you are going to have to do so, it's too late to appeal. You can however, file a motion to clarify so that this never happens again.

Tatertot, I wouldn't pay another ding dang bill. You guarantee insurance coverage, that is it, (and that agreement is between your ex & the courts.) You didn't sign agreeing to pay the bills nor for treatment. Force the doctors or the hospitals to validate.

KAT

haiku

In most cases when ti comes down to it, docotors offices don't really care and because you are the other parent eventually they will go after you for payment, if the ex has involved your name at all. also eventually your child gets denied treatment and then what do you do? you pay the bills, even if you are only responsible for half.

here is what happens after. you take copies of everything you paid to the court. You petition the court to modify that if you do nOT receive copies of the bill within 30 days of treatment or the CP's receipt of said bill, YOU are no longer responsible.

you also have filed for contempt on the amount you had to pay, for the half that was not yours. Now if you are like my husband and your ex does not pay bills anyway. Ask if the amount she owes you in medical bills, can be minused from your support amount until her debt is paid. It worked for my husband.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If the original order didn't state a time period within which he's to submit bills to you - you may well be up a creek on this one.

K

katell

The way it worked was the original Decree stated I was responsible for half of the medical bills after May 11, 1998 but says nothing about how long he has to get the bills to me. On March of 2002 there when I had filed a motion to ammend to get child support reduced the Juvenile & Domestic Relations District Court stated I was no longer responsible for medical. He then Appealed this in May and didn't show. I didn't know I could refuse the continous on this but I allowed it and then in June he not only got child support raised, but I was told I would have to pay half of medical expenses as well. I do not remember the judge saying anything about past medical expenses. I had not received any medical bills up til this date in June when after court my ex husband hands me all these papers from the Insurance company statement that starts in 1998 and goes up to March of 2002.
I would think he should have to submit them when he gets the statement back from his insurance saying how much he is responsible for. I don't mind paying these things, but he's really slamming it to me in the wallet. With child support and taxes taken out I am only left with 67 dollars. How am I supposed to pay on a 2,000+ dollar medical bill and still make a living?

K

katell

I am currently trying to contact the court houses and request copies of the rulings so I, myself can see the specifics of the
rulings. Hopefully, this will help my case. If it has no ruling it the only thing I think I can do is just be prepared to pay what I owe and request that it be set so that he only has 30 days to get a bill to me.
Thanks for the input on this. :)

tater_tot

I also appreciate all advice, but I think the courts here would not do ahything, because I asked that the ex be court ordered to keep the house payment up so I can get my name off of it, and they wouldn't do it, because the courts said you can not force someone to pay a bill if they can't, but I'll try.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">