• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Insurance for Employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjwendroff

What is the name of your state? VA

Hello,

I wanted to ask about medical insurance for employees.

1) Do you have to pay the same for each employee?

2) If there is a group medical plan, does that require anything from the employer to help out the employee?

3) Based on some other topics in this section, it looks like the employer can choose how much portion to pay for medical insurance for each employees. Does this seem right?

Please advise.

Thanks,

BJ

ecmst12

1. No, you can pay a different portion of the premium for different classes of employees. Some employers will pay, for example, 90% of the premium for regular employees, but only 70% of the premium for executive level employees. You can designate classes of employees based on anything you like so long as it is not a protected characteristic under federal or state law. If you are asking about the premium charged, in a group plan, the premium would be the same for every covered person, that's how a group plan works. The varying degree of risk among the individual employees is spread out over the group as a whole.

2. I believe an employer can sponsor a group health plan for the employees but still require them to pay 100% of the premiums themselves.

3. See #1.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) Ecmst12's answer is correct.
2.) State law determines this. In my state, for example, an employer MUST pay at least one third of the premium - it CANNOT legally be 100% employee paid.
3.) Check your state law on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">