• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Insurance Terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunshinegrl89

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Recieved notification on Sept 22, that as of Sept 14, 2006 - our medical insurance had been terminated. The "employer" was a family member - and consisted of an arrangement / agreement (verbal of course) between us.

Does the law require that I be notified "X" amount of days prior to cancelleation? What is the proper procedure for Cobra Benefits? Does the current policy get expired - and then 're-activated' when the Cobra paperwork goes through?

I was diagnosed with a pretty significant health situation on Sept 15th , 2006 - and Im am very concerned about "pre-existing' conditions when trying to get my insurance re-instated.

Appreciate any information you can give me.

Thanks
CindyWhat is the name of your state?

moburkes

Do you work for this person? Are you an employee? If so, how many employees are there? Are you able to get coverage through your spouse? More information is needed. Who pays for the coverage?

Last edited:

sunshinegrl89

I held a Contractors LIcense for him, in exchange - he paid my family's medical. My husband (was working for him) decided to start his own company - and hence, 'bad feelings' were generated. As soon as he had somone new to cover his company and hold license - he terminated the benefits.

moburkes

So, you never worked for him? I really don't understand the relationship. Was he your employer? Yes or no?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the entire policy has been cancelled, as in, no one is covered on the policy at all, then COBRA does not apply.

moburkes

That's why this is so confusing. It doesn't even appear that OP is an employee. It appears that OP did favor for family member, so family member, in turn paid for OP's premiums. How does it look to you?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To be honest, I have no idea. But the poster asked how COBRA would work and if the policy would be reactivated to provide COBRA benefits. It won't. If the policy has been completely cancelled, there is no COBRA. COBRA does not apply when the entire policy is no longer in existance. COBRA only allows for continuation of existing benefits when the policy is still in effect but the employee is no longer eligible to be covered on it.

moburkes

Absolutely, I'm not knocking your response at all. I'm thinking, though, that this isn't even a workplace insurance policy. Individual policies don't have COBRA.

sunshinegrl89

technically I was never an employee. My husband was an employee - I simply held a license for him (the Emloyer, my cousin) to contract. In lieu of being paid money for this service, it was agreed that we would be given a family medical insurance plan.

I recieved a letter, on Sep 22 - stating due to the employement status change within his company - our medical insurance was terminated on Sept. 14th. If we wanted to continue our benefits - complete forms, and remit a check payable to his company for the premium.

What I am questioning is - can they "terminate" the benefit - notify me in 'hindsight' that this was done - ???

moburkes

It sounds like there is still coverage. They are required to give you an opportunity to continue coverage at your own expense. It appears that this is a small group policy. Now, if you continue coverage, and submit the paperwork ASAP, it will be retroactive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">