• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
Hi, I live in Tennessee and I was divorced on Aug 31st....I have a question regarding my ex providing medical insurance for our children. He works and has them on his policy through his employer. I am a stay at home mom. Does he pay the premium for the kids medical or do I have to pay a portion of it? I just received the court order on Friday and it states that the father is responsible for providing insurance but a portion is being deducted from my child support amount.

Thanks for your input and help.

Dawn :confused:


Senior Member
it depends on your state guidelines, you can do a googlesearch or look here www.supportguidelines.com

He is paying the insurance.

most states give a credit for the kids ins. as that is part of a childs 'support'.

Because he pays the ins., he gets the amount removed from his support percentage. Were you the one to pay for insurance, that portion belonging to the kids would be ADDED to his support percentage, to reimburse you.


Senior Member
right to what haiku said

he is resposible for paying it but he gets it as a credit against his child support, since he is paying it and it is support for the children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential