• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BLUE79

i am in colorado.....during open enrollment at my employer i inqired to my human resources dept. about adding someone under common law marriage as a spouse, with paycheck deductions being the spouse rate, i was misinformed and told this could be done, the money has come out of my pay check for the spouse rate since. i called the insurance company several weeks later and found that my common law spouse has not been added i told my human resources dept who contacted the insurace company. i have now been informed that i was supposed to have an affidavit of common law marriage (which i do not have and was not told i needed when he was added) and that i would have to pay the rate for domestic partner which is almost 8x more and i cannot afford. and also that i have to pay back deductions for the additional premium even though he was not added when i requested for him to be. when i told them that i wanted him removed i was told that could only be done with a qualifing event annulment of common law marriage, death, divorce or wait for open enrollment. my employer is now making it sound that i can get in trouble for this eventhough i was completly misinformed by my benefits dept.
my questions are:
1 is it true that he cannot be removed from the insurance?
2 can they make me pay back deductions since he was not added to the insurance until after i informed them, and since i was misinformed about the premiums?
2 can i get in trouble for this and have my own insurance canceled?

wtd

This doesn't answer any of your three questions, but why don't you just go down and get an affadavit of common law marriage?

wtd

B

BLUE79

Well we could go get the affidavit but that would not really remedy my situation. he would still have to be insured under the domestic partner rate which is more than $80 per pay and not the origonal premium that i was told that i would have to pay for the spouse rate which is under $12 per pay. and if i would have known that i would have to pay more than $80 per pay i would have never added him. i bascially do not feel that i should have to pay the higher rate (and have back deductions taken out of my future check) due to being given incorrect information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">