• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical portion enforcement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



i live in florida but i need information on how to file a proper enforcement motion on the medical part of the court order in ohio. i can't afford a lawyer due to overwhelming medical expense of my daughter.


Senior Member
just an idea, some say that it won't work, but it did and still does for me.

you don't give alot of details from your post, but i will assume that he is responsible for a % of the costs for medical after insurance, and that he isn't paying his part?

my ex did the same for over a year. which included about 15 colds and flu, 1 tonselectomy, 2 sets of ear tubes, and 1 hospitalization for a week. a pretty good lump sum even after insurance.

he paid his support - no choice, had that garnished - but he said that included his share of medical bills. WRONG!!!! If that were true, there would be the added line that states - NCP will carry medical insurance on the children and be responsible for 50% of uncovered costs.

we were running expensive bills on attorneys just for the regular stuff - my laywer suggested that i do it myself through small claims court. i had already been awarded the amount through the regular support order. he was responsible for it.

i took a copy of my order, along with copies of all the medical expenses to the court house with me. had it drawn out what the total was, what i had already paid - with receipts - and what he owed. i won! the only choice that he was given was rather it was to be paid directly to the doctors office or to me. he chose the doctor's office. the judge put a provision on the decision that stated if the doctors were not paid within 30 days that the amount would fall due to me - that enabled me to file another garnishment on his check and allowed me to pay the doctors.

the first time i did it was in 1997 and the second time was in 1998, third in 99. he has done alright since then. i present him with a copy of the billing, along with the amount that i have paid and receipts showing i paid my share. if he doesn't pay it within 2 months or at least set up a payment plan with the doctors, i send him a letter requesting that he pay the amount in full or that i will again take him back to court for the amount. with a reminder of his obligation and how important the welfare of the children are. he has done pretty good so far.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential