• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical privacy of family members

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fireman22

State Virginia

Hello all, my question is very simple can my supervisor ask me for a doctores note for a child's doctors visit when said note would violate there right to privacy? I did have to take 5 hours to take my child to the doctors office , get a perscription, and then returned to work. I know HIPPA dosen' protect this request. thanxs

seniorjudge

Your post strongly implies that YOU revealed that you had to take off work to carry your kid to the doctor and then get a prescription.

So, now privacy violation there.

And, yes, an employer can ask for documentation when you say you have to take off for something specific.

E.g., if you tell your employer you are taking off to go to the doctor, then the employer has the right to ask you to back it up with documentation.

rmet4nzkx

It is not a violation, all that is required is confirmaiton of the visit, not the diagnosis. If you or a child or other family member has extraordinary health needs, it is possible that you may qualify for FMLA, which requires documenttion. It is best, when ever possible to make appointments closer to the begining or end of your shift, sometimes you have to ask for a different appointment time, this is not always possible with an acute illness.

fireman22

OK thats not a problem. I guess my only problem is that I have been the only person asked to provide a letter. Many others at work have used this privledge and have not been asked. Would this be harassment? Thanks

fireman22

OK that clears a little up. Now last question' "till the next" what has presedence, Union contract or HR policys? Our contract states that a letter of requirement needs to be issued befor and advrce action can be taken. HR's policies don't even say anything about it? Thanks again

rmet4nzkx

The answer is the same however if you had stated that you were under a union contract you would have been refered to your union for specific advice.

TOrley

Not a HIPPA issue

Providing a doctor's note is not a violation of anyone's privacy. If the note were to pertain to the specific reason for the visit then it would violate HIPPA. A note saying "Jane Doe was seen in my office today" is not a violation in any way. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">