• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical record req. by ins co.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tennguy

In applying for Long term care insurance I have been asked to provide ALL medical records from my psychiarist (including his notes and comments made during our sessions). I realize they have a need to have his diagnosis, treatment, prognosis and medications prescribed but fail to see their necessity to view what are obviously extremely personal infomation that should have no bearing on their decision to offer me a policy.

I feel this is a gross invasion of privacy and wonder if they can legally require this information before they offer me a policy.

Is there any Federal or State(Tennessee) law that would prevent an insurance company requiring this extremely personal and private information before they will offer a policy?

Regards

Tennguy

JETX

"Is there any Federal or State(Tennessee) law that would prevent an insurance company requiring this extremely personal and private information before they will offer a policy?"
A: No. In fact there is no law requiring them to even issue you a policy. You are free to shop your insurance needs elsewhere.

T

Tennguy

Well, that's not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I suspected as much- Thanks for the info--

Regards,

Tennguy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">