• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KayJ

From Pennsylvania

I have an 18 year old girl (still a senior in high school) I've taken into my home because her parents threw her out of their house. I have a paper notorized for the school systems stating that I'm responsible for school items. However, she is in need of medical attention. She has no insurance as her parent dropped her off their policy when they kicked her out. My question. Who is responsible for her medical bills.

1. she's 18 but still in high school
2. she was insured until her parents dropped her.
3. I do not have legal guardianship of her.

Beth3

Kay, I see nobody had been able to answer your question and unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you either.

May I suggest you contact a counselor at this girl's school? They may be able to steer you in the right direction to get the answers you need. She may be eligible for insurance coverage through the State (i.e. Medicare/Medicaid)

J

justathought

Have you tried calling local clinics to find out if they have free/sliding scale services? If she's 18+ and uninsured, they might be able to help.

Good luck!

ellencee

KayJ

I'm sorry I did not see your post earlier. You did not say what kind of medical attention she needs.
The highschool may have a nurse that can make a referral.
Also, depending on the type of medical attention that she needs, she could go to an Emergency Facility that accepts federal funds, Medicare, Medicaid, (a not for profit hospital). These facilities are required to provide medical care regardless of ability to pay. That's why you see so much ER abuse in ERs being used as clinics. I'm suggesting you do the same; I know.
Another option is the county health department. Most have general and 'specialty' clinics, for example: an OB/GYN clinic. County health departments usually have a sliding scale or a provision for indigent care.
As she is 18, I do not believe she will qualify for Medicaid unless she is pregnant. There are provisions for Medicaid, in most states, for pregnant women for the last 5 months of pregnancy and for six months to a year afterwards, depending on the care needed by the woman.

after-thought: If she needs medical attention as the result of abuse or rape, a women's crisis center will probably be able to secure medical attention for her.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">