• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spank

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Florida

Well hi. I am a 19 year old male in Florida. I had a question regarding a bill I had. In my parents divorce agreement my father agreed to pay for our medical insurance until I was 21 years of age. We were to consult with him before anything was done, and him to us as far as our insurance was concerned. Well I recently went to the hospital for a pain I had. I tried to consult with him but I could not get a hold of him. When I went the doctor told me that it could be something serious and asked me to be tested immediatly (I have a letter from the doctor stating this). Well I agreed under the assumption that I had health insurance. I later found out that earlier that month he had terminated my insurance. He is arguing and saying that he doesn't have to pay becuase I did not consult with him, but he did not consult with me about my insurance no longer existing. Is he obliged to pay for it? or am I stuck with this bill now? Thanks in advance.

brisgirl825

The CO states that he is to pay for insurance until 21? If you are positive about that, then your mother can file contempt.
Emergency situations are often not consultable. The court doesn't expect that you should risk your health by waiting. Consult situations are for things like braces, tonsils, etc.
It would also be wise for your mother to ask a judge for him to pay the entire cost, or more than what he would normally have to pay, since insurance had been cancelled.

VeronicaGia

brisgirl825 said:
The CO states that he is to pay for insurance until 21? If you are positive about that, then your mother can file contempt.
It would also be wise for your mother to ask a judge for him to pay the entire cost, or more than what he would normally have to pay, since insurance had been cancelled.
Maybe, maybe not. If our poster has graduated high school and is not a full time student, it is possible his fathers employer and health care provider will no longer provide insurance for the "child" since the "child" is now and adult. Court order or not, employer and health care polices are just that.

Y

youdontknowme

This sounds like something that's gonna have to be hashed out in court. If he is under court order to provide you with medical insurance until you are 21 and he isn't, then he is in contempt of the court order.
IMO, whether or not you sought approval for this is moot at this point. Dad might as well swallow his pride and admit he screwed up and he's going to be stuck paying that bill.

spank

Thanks for the advice. Yea its one of those things that I have to be going to school full time, which I am and have been for the last year. He had switched jobs and didn't tell us so thats why he said we didn't have insurance. I think he was just trying to give my mom a hard time but saying he wasn't going to pay, but I told him that I paid the bill, not mom. He has indicated he would pay now. Again thanks for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">