• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dinoman

medi-cal

What is the name of your state? CA
My mother is self employed and couldn't afford medical insurance. They found an agressive cancer tumor blocking the air passage into her left lung, which collapsed it. She needs laser surgery to cut some of the tumor off to allow air passage. Then she can have chemo. I am trying to get medi-cal. She has no assets other than her IRA, which she has been dipping into just to make ends meet at home. Medi-cal says she has to spend all of her IRA before she can be approved. They want reciets of where she spent it. If she gives the money to any family members, they consider that foul play and will be denied the benefits. I read that if the IRA was set up as an annuity, and she recieved monthly payments, Then the IRA would be protected. My question is if she switched the IRA over to an annuity plan after the application for medic-al has already been submitted, would that be legal? Would they consider that foul play and deny her the benefits?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">