• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental discharges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lightarms

What is the name of your state? Ft Stewart, Ga

Had a question about Mental Health discharges.

So I go a bunch of different depression problems from a horrible experience my company had in Mosul, Iraq. I've been diagnosed with PTSD, Adjustment Disorder, and something else. I've been on anti depressents for a few months. They don't do anything but make me get really really scared and then drowsey. Anyways my shrink tells me I'm looking at getting a discharge for Personality Disorder and that is what will show up on my discharge papers.

I'm told this will be an Honarable discharge and I can get the "personality disorder" thing removed from my record after a year out. Is this all true? And what worries me is getting a police officer job since thats what I am right now in the army <MP> and want to do that on the civilian side. I was told since this PTSD stuff was from war that it wont effect me getting a job in the law enforcement sector at all. Only if it came up out of nowhere. Is this also true?

SHORTY LONG

Generally speaking, yes it would be a Honorable discharge.
However, about getting things removed from your Medical
record in a year, that is highly unlikely; and about PTSD
and working for a Police or Sheriff department, that will
depend on many factors, such as how you present and
conduct yourself during the interview process etc. In
today's time, one is scrutinized before they are hired
for a law enforcement position. So, once you get
a Honorable discharge, then contact your locale Civil
Service and begin the process. By the way, any letter
of recommendations from your CO and other's of higher
rank while you are in would be a plus mark.

Lightarms

Good words of advice, thanks. I never thought about getting letters of recommendation or something to that effect from my CO. I know he would do that for me in a second after serving in Iraq together. And a bunch of my NCOs can attest to my hard work and personality.

You need to read paragraph 5-13, AR 635-200, concerning separation for personality disorder. This is NOT used normally for soldiers suffering from PTSD or other combat related illnesses. This is when a psychriatirst or qualified psychologist has diagnosed you with a deeply ingrained maladaptive pattern of behavior that makes you unfit for duty--but not a medical disability UP AR 635-40.

This will not bode well if you plan on applying for a civilian police or law enforcement position. Many law enforcement officials have prior military experience and some will definitely not consider this a positive type of discharge, although your characterization of service might still be honorable. Look up "personality disorder" in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV).

If you are discharged UP AR 635-200, paragraph 5-13, that cannot be changed after separation. It is a fact, not an error. What is common with this type of chapter 5 discharge is that when soldiers are separated with a general under honorable conditions, they can apply later to have the characterization of service upgraded to honorable based on their overall service record. That's a change the Army Board of Corrections can make.

fozzy2

I'll emphasize what has already been posted: You need to be very, very, careful. Discharge for a "personality disorder" will definitely follow you into civilian life, and can be almost automatically disqualifying for law enforcement or security clearance jobs. If your problems stem from experiences in Iraq then you most likely don't have a "personality disorder" but rather a mental illness such as PTSD, etc. These are two completely different categories of diagnosis -- as pointed out, "personality disorder" is considered an untreatable pre-existing condition and you will get zero benefits. On the other hand, PTSD or a "mental illness" diagnosis will almost certainly qualify you for continuing VA benefits -- continued care or possibly disability if things take a turn for the worse.

Congress is planning on holding hearings because of a stream of complaints from combat vets that the military is tagging them "personality disorder" and kicking them to the curb without a thought (after they have completed their time in Iraq, of course). Arguably, a lot of these people should be getting diagnosed with various service-connected maladies and getting treatment, etc. There are some very difficult policy questions involved in sorting out varying psychological diagnosis -- but the bottom line for the military is $$$$$$.

You may want to get in touch with an organization like the DAV (disabled american veterans) and see if you can get professional help during the evaluation/discharge process. You may also want to consider contacting your congressperson since this is becoming such a high-profile issue on the floor. Yours sounds typical of something that is very troubling -- vets told that they are suffering from combat-related maladies like PTDS, but then getting discharges for "personality disorder" and thus getting cut off from benefits/training.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">