• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mental discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johntowers

What is the name of your state? Delaware

Does anyone know what to do about this... I need a MD to say that I can safely own a gun again, one doctor gave me an involentary admission to a mental hospital and now I can't have a gun. I threatened suicide. It was NOT involentary, even though the paperwork said it was. DE requires a DE MD to say I am sane but no
doctors wants to do an evaluation... any ideas?

HomeGuru

johntowers said:
What is the name of your state? Delaware

Does anyone know what to do about this... I need a MD to say that I can safely own a gun again, one doctor gave me an involentary admission to a mental hospital and now I can't have a gun. I threatened suicide. It was NOT involentary, even though the paperwork said it was. DE requires a DE MD to say I am sane but no
doctors wants to do an evaluation... any ideas?
**A: john, you don't need a gun.

CdwJava

If you have the money, I suppose you could get a lawyer and go to court and get a judge to order a new evaluation. But, DE law may not permit it.

Whatever you do its likely to cost a lot of money.

Carl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

If I could, I would definitely allow you to have a gun. You'd be one less idiot, mental defective walking on this Earth, taking up space.

IAAL

J

johntowers

First of all Liable I have always had guns so your response is retarded. I'm asking this question because I am being discriminated against and have no recourse. I posted for some help, not for your two-cents because you have nothing to do. If you need to vent go to an AA meeting, don't waste people's time who are trying to solve a problem.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

johntowers said:
First of all Liable I have always had guns so your response is retarded. I'm asking this question because I am being discriminated against and have no recourse. I posted for some help, not for your two-cents because you have nothing to do. If you need to vent go to an AA meeting, don't waste people's time who are trying to solve a problem.

My response:

Didn't you say:

"I need a MD to say that I can safely own a gun again, one doctor gave me an involentary admission to a mental hospital . . . I threatened suicide."

. . . he said with a bunch of misspellings.

Look, if you want to "off yourself", I agree with you. You should have that right, and I'd give you the gun to do it, too!

In the meantime, there must a bridge you could use.

IAAL

J

johntowers

Nevermind I guess you are just to stupid to understand, no further comments are needed...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

johntowers said:
Nevermind I guess you are just to stupid to understand, no further comments are needed...

My response:

No, no, no. You're too stupid. I understand perfectly. What good are "rights" when all you want to do is kill yourself? You can buy a gun off the street any time you want! All it takes is a couple hundred dollars.

Go ahead, kill yourself. One less person eating, or in line, or on the freeway, or creating waste, or anything else! Please, just do it. We need the room.

Look, you've already come to the conclusion that you're a worthless piece of crap, and you know that you need to "off" yourself. Hey, at least your smart enough to realize that fact.

IAAL

CdwJava

johntowers said:
I'm asking this question because I am being discriminated against and have no recourse.
Actually, I don't believe you are being discriminated against - at least as the term is used under the law. Having a history of mental illness - or an involuntary commitment for mental illness - is not a protected class in this country. So if you pursue the matter, discrimination won't be the course of action to take. An attorney in your state might be able to tell you what actions (if any) you can take to remove the firearm prohibition.

Bottom line may be that there is NO solution to the problem.

Carl

rmet4nzkx

John,
Most likely you won't find an MD to preform an evaluation unless they are granted what is called, quasi-judicial immunity, this means it is court ordered, otherwise if anything happens, they might be held liable for the consequences. It doesn't matter what kind of committment, if it was serious enough to require hospitalization, you should really look for more productive things upon which to focus. You might contact your local chapter of the NRA they may be able to give you some guidance. It is possible that you may be able to use a gun under supervised circumstances, such as at a shooting range or gun club, but not possess one. Again there are many ways to practice those skills without a gun. It is unlikely you will be forced to live off the land and need a gun for food. Before I went to kindergarten my father insisted that I know how to read and write, box and shoot a gun accurately, I am female, thank goodness it was easy, I shot the nose on the "Burgie" beer can on my first shot. I haven't shot a gun in over 40 years and I have lived in places where many people own and carry guns. I have been threatened by someone recently who has a gun, I still havent found need for one for protection. Remember, many people are killed with empty guns. Be greatful to be alive and less about guns.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rmet4nzkx said:
John,
Most likely you won't find an MD to preform an evaluation unless they are granted what is called, quasi-judicial immunity, this means it is court ordered, otherwise if anything happens, they might be held liable for the consequences.

My response:

I LIKE this lady! Good, clear, response. I especially like the above statement - - not too many people are aware of "quasi-judicial immunity". I think this was a good answer.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

I used to do neuro-psy forensic evaluations for the courts and am published in forensic journals. Number one lesson is, if you are doing an evaluation, make sure it is court ordered otherwise you have no business doing them!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">