• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mental health and probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fokuo986

Massachusetts
Can a court order someone to stay with a family member for probation?

A freind of mine is living with a family member on probation, and part of the probation was to stay with them. He is planning to move soon, but according to the probation officer, that would violate his roommates probation. The officer said he was free too move, but my freind is worried he will be leaving his family high and dry.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Massachusetts

A freind of mine is living with a family member on probation, and part of the probation was to stay with them. He is planning to move soon, but according to the probation officer, that would violate his roommates parole. The officer said he was free too move, but my freind is worried he will be leaving his family high and dry.
Yes, the court is allowed to set terms for probation. Your friend is free to move with or without his criminal family member. His moral concerns are not an issue that can be addressed on a legal advice forum.

Just Blue

Massachusetts

A freind of mine is living with a family member on probation, and part of the probation was to stay with them. He is planning to move soon, but according to the probation officer, that would violate his roommates parole. The officer said he was free too move, but my freind is worried he will be leaving his family high and dry.
The person needs to discuss this with his probation officer.

@Mass_Shyster

fokuo986

Yes, the court is allowed to set terms for probation. Your friend is free to move with or without his criminal family member. His moral concerns are not an issue that can be addressed on a legal advice forum.
Thanks for the quick response. This is what I figured...

Just Blue

Okay, thanks! The guy aboves response about the morality of it having no bearing on the situation sort of swing it home for me.

Oh that was you. I'm an idiot...
funny....

I tagged Mass_Shyster (a Massachusetts Attorney) to check out your thread.

fokuo986

What does this issue have to do with mental health?
Hyperbole. Which doesn't translate well in subject text. My freind is freaking out about the move, the and pulling his hair out about what too do. Primarily about how to make this transition good for the family.

He is going to talk to the probation officer, and hopefully get some peace of mind.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

funny....

I tagged Mass_Shyster (a Massachusetts Attorney) to check out your thread.
I guess I was wrong about being notified when tagged. That works on another board, but not here.

Anyway, the probationer needs to speak with his P.O. and explain that the roommate is moving out, and he will need to modify his terms of probation. Be proactive.

quincy

Hyperbole. Which doesn't translate well in subject text. My freind is freaking out about the move, the and pulling his hair out about what too do. Primarily about how to make this transition good for the family.

He is going to talk to the probation officer, and hopefully get some peace of mind.
If your friend is concerned for his roommate who is on probation, he might want to delay his move until the roommate has the chance to have the conditions of his probation modified/changed.

Although the probationer will want to speak to his probation officer first - before any change in the living condition occurs - the probationer will need to petition the court for a modification of the terms and conditions of his probation. It will be the sentencing judge who will determine if a modification is reasonable and/or necessary.

That said, I agree with Zigner. The friend is not the one on probation. Unless he committed in some (enforceable) way to remain living with the probationer, he can move away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">