• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Merger or Buy out? USAirways

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jack Dave

I understand that anti trust laws prohibit companies to buy other profitable companies.
If USAirways was profitable, which I believe it was the last two years even though they are in debt, is United Airlines Aquiring USAirways by a merger or buy out?

K

keeshy2

As my fiancee works for US Airways, I hear a lot about this. This is the official statement:

Chicago, IL, and Arlington, VA, (May 24, 2000) - UAL Corporation [NYSE: UAL] and
US Airways Group, Inc. [NYSE: U] today announced that their boards of directors have approved a definitive merger agreement pursuant to which US Airways will be acquired by United in an all-cash transaction valued at $4.3 billion (plus the assumption of $1.5 billion in net debt and $5.8 billion in aircraft operating leases).

According to this, it is a merger. However, it still has to go through the anti-trust hearings and may not be allowed to happen since then American would want Northwest, Continental would want someone, etc, etc.
:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">