• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Message to IAAL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Suni

Dear Iaal,

Gosh, I gotta tell ya this situation has gone from bad to worse, I hired an Attorney, as you know from my last e-mail, He's charging me $7,500.00 provided it doesn't go to trial.
I signed the promisary note to pay, dropped off the police report, and was set to see him in court on the fifth of June.
Evidently, he did not read the police report that I dropped of and personally handed to him, because the day of court, he said to me " You didn't tell me there was a taped confession" Obviously, he did'nt do his homework. It states in the police report Taped confession. He won't return my phone calls, I set up an appointment at his office, and when I showed up, I was informed by his secretary, that he had an emergency and needed to reschedule for the following Thur. (This paticular appointment was on a Tue.) When I told the Secretary that there were no messages on my answering machine, and did she have the correct number? her response was Well...he only had four appointments today? rather than argue with her I left, and when I got home there were no messages on my machine, by the way.....I am aprox. 15 min from his office.
I showed up for the appointment on that Thursday, (Which incidently, he thanked me for allowing him to take a vacation this year) asked him a few questions and said I would see him in court the following Monday.
He postponed the pliminary till June 22nd, and advised me by mail, which is addressed to my Brother, but incare of me. And he didn't even have my brothers name correct. He went by my brothers middle & last name. He won't return any of my phone calls. I totally feel like he has taken advantage of this situation, and my lack of knowledge regarding this type of stuff. Please help me, What do I do now.....I have already signed the promisary note, however he has only appeared once for the preliminary, only to postpone it. Also saying to my brother at that time, that 6 yrs sounds pretty good, which is what the public defender offered.
Sorry to bother you again. Thanx for your time.....Suni

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Suni:
Dear Iaal,

Gosh, I gotta tell ya this situation has gone from bad to worse, I hired an Attorney, as you know from my last e-mail, He's charging me $7,500.00 provided it doesn't go to trial.
I signed the promisary note to pay, dropped off the police report, and was set to see him in court on the fifth of June.
Evidently, he did not read the police report that I dropped of and personally handed to him, because the day of court, he said to me " You didn't tell me there was a taped confession" Obviously, he did'nt do his homework. It states in the police report Taped confession. He won't return my phone calls, I set up an appointment at his office, and when I showed up, I was informed by his secretary, that he had an emergency and needed to reschedule for the following Thur. (This paticular appointment was on a Tue.) When I told the Secretary that there were no messages on my answering machine, and did she have the correct number? her response was Well...he only had four appointments today? rather than argue with her I left, and when I got home there were no messages on my machine, by the way.....I am aprox. 15 min from his office.
I showed up for the appointment on that Thursday, (Which incidently, he thanked me for allowing him to take a vacation this year) asked him a few questions and said I would see him in court the following Monday.
He postponed the pliminary till June 22nd, and advised me by mail, which is addressed to my Brother, but incare of me. And he didn't even have my brothers name correct. He went by my brothers middle & last name. He won't return any of my phone calls. I totally feel like he has taken advantage of this situation, and my lack of knowledge regarding this type of stuff. Please help me, What do I do now.....I have already signed the promisary note, however he has only appeared once for the preliminary, only to postpone it. Also saying to my brother at that time, that 6 yrs sounds pretty good, which is what the public defender offered.
Sorry to bother you again. Thanx for your time.....Suni
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Write him a letter telling him what you have told me, here. Then, tell him he's "Fired" and that you want your Promisory Note sent back to you with "Cancelled" written across it. Further, you tell him you're willing to pay him a fee based upon "quantum meruit" for the one court appearance, and that you'll also expect his bill in the mail. Tell him, if this doesn't happen within 10 calendar days, you will lodge a complaint with the State Bar and obtain another attorney for the specific purpose to sue him for Breach of Contract, Breach of Fiduciary Duty, and Contractual Bad Faith, and any other applicable cause of action.
Tell him that if he fails to return any money that you've paid to him (unearned retainer fee) that it will damage your ability to hire another criminal attorney.
Further, DEMAND in no uncertain terms that you want your ORIGINAL OFFICE FILE (NOT a copy) also returned to you.

You definately needed an attorney, but you didn't need a shyster.

Go get him, Suni.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">