• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Messy Renter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stressdmom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX
We have a renter who has consistently kept a very messy house. We are talking about stacks of newspaper, boxes and assorted junk all throughout the house. We have repeatedly said that this is a safety/fire hazard, but to no avail. Even her daughters have said how bad it is to her. My question is this, is there a legal document stating that either the conditions improve and stay that way, or we will increase rent or even evict? We really don't want to evict her, since she is the mother of one of our church members. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

DeAnna

BL

I'm not familiar with TX. Laws , but If TX. has a Law about the mess being a fire/Safety Hazard , Get a copy of the Law .

Send the tenant a Letter with copy of the code , and state the fire hazards exist against codes , and MUST be rectified Immediately .

If she's handicapped or elderly , try getting volunteers to help .

If not , Offer to try to get the tenant help in cleaning it up anyways since you want them to stay .

How old is the Daughter . Maybe she could help .

There's no law I know of, if anything it would just be a local code violation of some type. You could call a local fire station and ask them if there's anything like that.

But what about your lease? What does your lease state? Surely there's some wording about the condition the tenant must keep the property in? Send a letter with a copy of that lease clause highlighted and let her know that she's risking eviction.

Chances are, unless you're really willing to go through with an eviction, you're probably wasting your breath. If she lives like that she's not just going to get the place picked up and keep it that way. They consider hording a psychiatric disorder now. Sounds like she qualifies.

Karla in Amarillo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">