• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mgr trying to evict me out of my mothers apartment because she is sick and not here

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WestHollywoodCA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California, West Hollywood. The apartment management company is trying to evict me out of my mothers apartment which I have been living in for at least 7-8 years, because she is ill and has to be in a skilled nursing facility at the moment, and my name is not on the rental agreement. I told them she is still a tenant and will return when she is feeling better, and all of her stuff is still here. He said ok as long as I keep sending them the rent check in her name that is ok, but if I send it from my account he cannot accept it, I said fine no problem. Then a couple days ago I received a 3 day notice to quit as to unauthorized occupancy. I did a little research on the weho city website, and there is an ordinance that states:

Occupants Allowed in Addition to the Lease/Rental Agreement

Tenants may be vulnerable to eviction if they have more people living with them than their lease specifies. However, the Ordinance provides that one person in addition to those permitted in the lease may live with a tenant if it is their spouse, registered domestic partner, child, grandchild, parent, grandparent, brother or sister.

So I had some questions

1. Can he try and evict me if she is still technically the main tenant, and is still paying rent here, and still has all of her stuff here?

2. Since I was legally allowed to live here, after so many months or years don't I legally become a tenant at some point myself?

3. He is scheduled to come here for an inspection of the property tomorrow, is there anything I should say or should not say to him, regarding my possible legal right to be here?

4. What would be the cheapest preferably free way possible to fight them on this, because we are pretty much financial destitute at the moment after paying for my mothers medical situation?

Thank you for any and all advice. I am completely stressed and in shock at the moment, and I feel like I'm brain dead and unable to come up with the right way to handle this situation. And if I were to find some information that shows that I am legally allowed to be here, part of me would want to show him, as to possibly stop him from actually starting the eviction process, but the other part does not want to show my hand, and prepare him for what I would be showing to a judge, and then he could have some type of upper hand knowing what my case would be based upon. Anyhow thank you in advance for any help you may give.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">