• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MI- custody when one parent moves away suddenly.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anisaerah

My ex came by on Monday to "tell [me] something important".

He and his wife had their minivan packed up and came by to say goodbye to my daughter. They are apparently moving to OR.

Our court order states that the receiving parent pick up our 13 year old daughter for parenting time.

He seems to think because he is moving that I am required to put her on a plane if he buys a ticket. (That is what the previous court order stated, when he lived in TN)

My understanding is that if he doesn't show up to pick her up, I am not obligated to do anything, including take his calls. (I am willing to allow her to call him if she wishes, of course.)

Thoughts? Advice?

I'd really rather not waste time and money taking him to court unless he scrounges up the money to pay a lawyer to represent him in MI.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My ex came by on Monday to "tell [me] something important".

He and his wife had their minivan packed up and came by to say goodbye to my daughter. They are apparently moving to OR.

Our court order states that the receiving parent pick up our 13 year old daughter for parenting time.

He seems to think because he is moving that I am required to put her on a plane if he buys a ticket. (That is what the previous court order stated, when he lived in TN)

My understanding is that if he doesn't show up to pick her up, I am not obligated to do anything, including take his calls. (I am willing to allow her to call him if she wishes, of course.)

Thoughts? Advice?

I'd really rather not waste time and money taking him to court unless he scrounges up the money to pay a lawyer to represent him in MI.
You are kidding right? How petty and selfish are you being? If he buys a ticket, put her on the plane. Why are you trying to play games? You don't think you need to take dad's calls? YOU have a DUTY to facilitate a relationship with the other parent. Pull these stunts. A court would slap you down so quickly your head would spin and then you can send your daughter to live with her father because mom is acting like a spoiled child.

anisaerah

You are kidding right? How petty and selfish are you being? If he buys a ticket, put her on the plane. Why are you trying to play games? You don't think you need to take dad's calls? YOU have a DUTY to facilitate a relationship with the other parent. Pull these stunts. A court would slap you down so quickly your head would spin and then you can send your daughter to live with her father because mom is acting like a spoiled child.

It's petty and selfish to follow our court order?

He has no place for her to live, they are currently homeless and have no jobs waiting for them in OR.

Edit: He also has an active bench warrant for not showing up to a show cause hearing about him refusing to pay the child support he is ordered to pay.

He is insisting that I am required to take his calls every time he calls because he has chosen to leave the state.

There is no court order that I am subject to that says any such thing, though.

Last edited:

anisaerah

That I haven't suddenly up and moved away from my child?

I have a hard time understanding why continuing to follow our court order is going to make a judge give my ex primary custody out of state.

If he wants to buy a round trip plane ticket to exercise his current court ordered parenting time, of course I would comply.

However, he thinks he automatically gets the entire summer and all school breaks. Without going back to court.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It's petty and selfish to follow our court order?

He has no place for her to live, they are currently homeless and have no jobs waiting for them in OR.

Edit: He also has an active bench warrant for not showing up to a show cause hearing about him refusing to pay the child support he is ordered to pay.

He is insisting that I am required to take his calls every time he calls because he has chosen to leave the state.

There is no court order that I am subject to that says any such thing, though.
Having no place to stay -- or does he -- would have been pertinent in the first post. As would having a bench warrant. You didn't say he expected you to take EVERY call he made regardless of whether you were available. Your story is changing. If you don't give complete facts, you wont get accurate info. Based strictly on your first post in this thread, I stand by what I said.

anisaerah

I do not "find it troublesome" ...But you posted a new thread as opposed to posting on your other thread that would give background. Not well done.;)

I get what you mean now. It totally slipped my mind.

Should I delete this and repost so you can tell me that I'm a horrible parent a second time?

anisaerah

Having no place to stay -- or does he -- would have been pertinent in the first post. As would having a bench warrant. You didn't say he expected you to take EVERY call he made regardless of whether you were available. Your story is changing. If you don't give complete facts, you wont get accurate info. Based strictly on your first post in this thread, I stand by what I said.
My story isn't changing. I thought if I added in that he has a bench warrant, or that he thinks he can call every day, I would be more likely to get responses such as yours, honestly.

All I wanted to know is if I can continue to follow our court order until there is a new one.

He has stated to me that they have no where to live other than their minivan, and that they have no jobs lined up.

Just Blue

I get what you mean now. It totally slipped my mind.

Should I delete this and repost so you can tell me that I'm a horrible parent a second time?
No ...I'll recommend you keep this thread.

The background is IMPORTANT!! ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My story isn't changing. I thought if I added in that he has a bench warrant, or that he thinks he can call every day, I would be more likely to get responses such as yours, honestly.

All I wanted to know is if I can continue to follow our court order until there is a new one.
Actually yes it is. Reread your first post where you state:
In other words, you are not going to answer the phone if he calls because nanananananana you don't have to.

NO where in that first post do you state he doesn't have a place to live/stay in OR but rather the court order states receiving parent has to pick up and if he doesn't, you shouldn't have to drive your daughter to the airport because that would be going out of your way even if he pays for the plane ticket. You didn't say he wanted to change time or anything else. So yeah, your story has changed from the first post.

anisaerah

No ...I'll recommend you keep this thread.

The background is IMPORTANT!! ;)
I'm confused as to how abandoning your child is better parenting than not abandoning them.

does the background change whether we are both still bound by our court order?

anisaerah

Actually yes it is. Reread your first post where you state:

In other words, you are not going to answer the phone if he calls because nanananananana you don't have to.

NO where in that first post do you state he doesn't have a place to live/stay in OR but rather the court order states receiving parent has to pick up and if he doesn't, you shouldn't have to drive your daughter to the airport because that would be going out of your way even if he pays for the plane ticket. You didn't say he wanted to change time or anything else. So yeah, your story has changed from the first post.
I never said I wouldn't drive her to the airport because it would be out of my way.

However, I have a hard time understanding why I am required to do so, especially if it is for parenting time that is not court ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">