• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MI License Revocation - Potential 5 year loophole?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A little background.

I am originally from Michigan, I had 2 alcohol convictions related to driving within 7 years, as a result my license was revoked. I moved to Colorado 4 years later because there happened to be a loophole in which I was able to obtain a drivers license there without lifting my original revocation from MI.

I recently did some digging in official Michigan legislature regarding the Michigan Vehicle Code and found the below in section 257.303 .

What I am wondering is, if I am interpreting what is said in the first Red portion of text correctly, since I was able to obtain a license in CO after my revocation in MI, and 5 years has passed, I would be able to get my license back in MI again. Or am I crazy?

Note: Later on in the document it also states the specifics about the 2 convictions within 7 years? Would that trump the first statement?

Key points maybe that it says 'any state', does that include MI itself?

257.303 Operator's or chauffeur's license; issuance; prohibitions; revocation; denial of license; multiple convictions or civil infractions; "felony in which a motor vehicle was used" defined.
Sec. 303.
(1) The secretary of state shall not issue a license under this act to any of the following persons:
(a) A person, as an operator, who is less than 18 years of age, except as otherwise provided in this act.
(b) A person, as a chauffeur, who is less than 18 years of age, except as otherwise provided in this act.
(c) A person whose license is suspended, revoked, denied, or canceled in any state. If the suspension, revocation, denial, or cancellation is not from the jurisdiction that issued the last license to the person, the secretary of state may issue a license after the expiration of 5 years from the effective date of the most recent suspension, revocation, denial, or cancellation.

... Some sections left out

(c) Any combination of 2 convictions within 7 years for any of the following or a combination of 1 conviction for a violation or attempted violation of section 625(6) and 1 conviction for any of the following within 7 years:
(i) A violation or attempted violation of section 625, except a violation of section 625(2), or a violation of any prior enactment of section 625 in which the defendant operated a vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating or alcoholic liquor or a controlled substance, or a combination of intoxicating or alcoholic liquor and a controlled substance, or while visibly impaired, or with an unlawful bodily alcohol content.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A little background.

I am originally from Michigan, I had 2 alcohol convictions related to driving within 7 years, as a result my license was revoked. I moved to Colorado 4 years later because there happened to be a loophole in which I was able to obtain a drivers license there without lifting my original revocation from MI. You can read about how I accomplished this <redacted>

I recently did some digging in official Michigan legislature regarding the Michigan Vehicle Code and found the below in section 257.303 .

What I am wondering is, if I am interpreting what is said in the first Red portion of text correctly, since I was able to obtain a license in CO after my revocation in MI, and 5 years has passed, I would be able to get my license back in MI again. Or am I crazy?

Note: Later on in the document it also states the specifics about the 2 convictions within 7 years? Would that trump the first statement?

Key points maybe that it says 'any state', does that include MI itself?

257.303 Operator's or chauffeur's license; issuance; prohibitions; revocation; denial of license; multiple convictions or civil infractions; "felony in which a motor vehicle was used" defined.
Sec. 303.
(1) The secretary of state shall not issue a license under this act to any of the following persons:
(a) A person, as an operator, who is less than 18 years of age, except as otherwise provided in this act.
(b) A person, as a chauffeur, who is less than 18 years of age, except as otherwise provided in this act.
(c) A person whose license is suspended, revoked, denied, or canceled in any state. If the suspension, revocation, denial, or cancellation is not from the jurisdiction that issued the last license to the person, the secretary of state may issue a license after the expiration of 5 years from the effective date of the most recent suspension, revocation, denial, or cancellation.

... Some sections left out

(c) Any combination of 2 convictions within 7 years for any of the following or a combination of 1 conviction for a violation or attempted violation of section 625(6) and 1 conviction for any of the following within 7 years:
(i) A violation or attempted violation of section 625, except a violation of section 625(2), or a violation of any prior enactment of section 625 in which the defendant operated a vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating or alcoholic liquor or a controlled substance, or a combination of intoxicating or alcoholic liquor and a controlled substance, or while visibly impaired, or with an unlawful bodily alcohol content.

I've quoted and reported your post, to remove the commercial link, as it's against the TOS for this forum.

I've quoted and reported your post, to remove the commercial link, as it's against the TOS for this forum.
Zinger,

In response to your rude e-mail. I did not do anything illegal at all, in fact Colorado was well aware that my license was revoked in Michigan. In fact I personally told them when I went to the Colorado DMV, and they flat out told me I was an exception. What you don't understand is that Colorado has different rules and special cases for people with revoked licenses from certain states (ie. MI). You would know this if you had read the link that you so rudely took down. This is supposed to be a Free Advice forum and all I see so far is a moderator blocking people from good links and information.

Just Blue

Zinger,

In response to your rude e-mail. I did not do anything illegal at all, in fact Colorado was well aware that my license was revoked in Michigan. In fact I personally told them when I went to the Colorado DMV, and they flat out told me I was an exception. What you don't understand is that Colorado has different rules and special cases for people with revoked licenses from certain states (ie. MI). You would know this if you had read the link that you so rudely took down. This is supposed to be a Free Advice forum and all I see so far is a moderator blocking people from good links and information.
Your link was a violation of the TOS. Zig was not rude...At. All. Please feel free to go pay an attorney for assistance.

Anyhow, to be constructive here is a *non-commercial* link from the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles that explains starting on page 8 what I went through to get my license in Colorado.

Colorado DMV CCR 204-30

**Pertinent Content**

2.2. Any applicant who is denied a Colorado driver license based on the existing revocation or suspension of their license in another party state may request a hearing to determine eligibility for licensing under these rules.

2.3. Upon notification from the Hearings Division that a hearing request has been received from an applicant whose application was denied based on a revocation or suspension in a party state, DMV will then acquire the applicant's driving record from the party state and analyze that record, applying Colorado law. Analysis of the party state record shall constitute the investigation required in Article V of the Driver License Compact as set forth in 24-60-1101 et seq. C.R.S.

2.4. At hearing, the applicant must show that:

a. At least one year has passed since the party state license was revoked, or that the period of suspension on the party state license has terminated;

b. He or she has not driven since the imposition of the revocation or suspension; and

c. He or she is now a Colorado resident. i. Residence may be established by such evidence as proof of employment, voter registration, utility bills or other documents which reflect that the applicant resides in Colorado.

d. Applicant is safe to drive a motor vehicle on the public highways in Colorado and would not endanger the safety of persons or property by driving on the public highways.

Last edited:

justalayman

Your idea does not apply to a Michigan license. Michigan is not going to issue you a license because Michigan is who has revoked your privileges. You are disqualified from obtaining a license for other sections of the law. To be eligible for a license you cannot fit within any of the listed categories. Being qualified under any one of them doesn’t override the disqualification under other sections.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I initially replied that the OP had done something illegal, but upon further review realized that wasn't necessarily the case, so I edited my posted (rather quickly) to remove that comment. The OP must have received an email that I had responded that included the text of my original, unedited post.

Just Blue

Again?

I think vinz clortho should do it. He has the keys to the realm anyway.
Can you just do it? You've got the protective gear and the goats....Pleeease?

ETA: Vinz always messes it up...Remember last time instead of putting the goats in the enclosure he put that tourist from Albany? It was a HUGE legal mess!:censored:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">