• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan Anti-Cohabitation laws & Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I would like some information. I have read on the internet that Michigan is one of the few states that still has anti cohabitation laws. Are these laws still applied as regarding child custody?

My ex and I have joint physical and legal custody of our daughter with equal parenting time. I am remarried. My ex is not. The order says nothing about cohabitation.

My ex is now planning on moving in (cohabitating) with her boyfriend. They do not plan on getting married. The boyfriend is 22 and the ex is 36. Boyfriend’s family strenuously objects to the relationship so marriage is unlikely as boyfriend is still subsidized by parents.

I am not happy with boyfriend’s behavior and attitude around my daughter and although boyfriend so far has not done anything inappropriate to the child I am seriously concerned due to his age and immaturity and heavy drinking (both ex and boy friend are heavy drinkers).

Do I have any grounds to ask for full custody if they begin cohabitating? Are there still any valid Michigan anti cohabitation laws as they apply to child custody?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I would like some information. I have read on the internet that Michigan is one of the few states that still has anti cohabitation laws. Are these laws still applied as regarding child custody?

My ex and I have joint physical and legal custody of our daughter with equal parenting time. I am remarried. My ex is not. The order says nothing about cohabitation.

My ex is now planning on moving in (cohabitating) with her boyfriend. They do not plan on getting married. The boyfriend is 22 and the ex is 36. Boyfriend’s family strenuously objects to the relationship so marriage is unlikely as boyfriend is still subsidized by parents.

I am not happy with boyfriend’s behavior and attitude around my daughter and although boyfriend so far has not done anything inappropriate to the child I am seriously concerned due to his age and immaturity and heavy drinking (both ex and boy friend are heavy drinkers).

Do I have any grounds to ask for full custody if they begin cohabitating? Are there still any valid Michigan anti cohabitation laws as they apply to child custody?
I have never heard of MI having anti cohabitation laws that are actually enforced. North Carolina is about the only state I have heard of that does.

Unless you can prove that the boyfriend is a danger to your child, there really is no where you can go with this.

ecmst12

Since your divorce is final, it's really none of your business who your ex lives with or whether she plans on getting married again.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Living together, in of itself, normally has no bearing on custody issues in Michigan. If you are thinking of changing custody, you are going to have a much stronger argument than that.

A2010

Thats What I thought as well - Until I read this on another site

I was of the same opinion that living with someone else did not matter until I read the following on another web site. I have not been able to find anything more about this Michigan case online -- thats why I was wondering.

-----

Are the people of Michigan at risk of legal ramifications
in connection with it's anti-cohabitation law? If there
was ever any question, it has now been answered.

The Oakland County Circuit Court has told me that if I
refuse to marry my partner, I am forced to choose between
my children and telling my partner that she must leave the
house we live in, the house where her eight year old
daughter also resides. In the same breath that the
Michigan State Court of Appeals upholds this decision, they
state that the best interest of the children are in tact
whether or not I am married, and whether or not my partner
and her daughter live with me while my children are
present. The Michigan Child Custody Act is rooted and
built on the premise of "the best interest of the child".
The applellate court's actions are contrary to the findings
of Heid v Aaasulewski (After Remand), 209 Mich App 587,
595; 532 NW2d 205 (1995), which states “the overriding
concern must always be the best interests of the children.”
One is called to question the reasons for overstepping
that cardinal rule.

The appellate court rests their opinion on the age old
state anti-cohabitation law that they have recently dusted
off and dealt me. Says the appellate court, "The social
policy of the state of Michigan is established by the
Legislature, not the courts, and we note that MCL 750.335
prohibits lewd and lascivious cohabitation. The
Legislature has not repealed this statute."

"We are not commenting on the morality of the morality of
the situation, but we respect the cohabitation statute that
remains in existence. Sush issues are better directed at
the Legislature."

Wait a minute! I thought it was the duty of the courts to
serve as checks and balances of the Legislature! The
standard that the State has set and abided by in custody
cases involving cohabitation is that, based on rulings by
the Michigan Supreme Court, specifically McCready vs
Hoffius, 459 Mich 131; 586 NW2d 723, discrimination based
on unmarried cohabitation is a violation of civil rights!
If it is considered a violation of civil rights to
discriminate on the basis of unmarried cohabitation, then
marital status and living arrangements are protected
personal characteristics!

In child custody cases, the Court of Appeals has made it
clear, "Consequently, the relevant inquiry pursuant to this
factor is not which party is the “morally superior adult”
but rather, whether the conduct at issue significantly
influences how that individual will function in a parental
capacity.” Price v Price, 2001, 99- 013725-DM, 232154U, at
7, (Michigan Court of Appeals).

Hammond v Hammond – “it is well established that, standing
alone, unmarried cohabitation is not enough to constitute
immorality for the purposes of assessing this factor in a
child custody dispute. See Fletcher v Fletcher, 447 Mich
871, 885-888; 526 NW2d 889 (1994).”

"We recognize the well settled principle that an
individual’s unmarried cohabitation, standing alone, does
not amount to immorality under the Child Custody Act." See
Truitt v Truitt, 172 Mich App 38, 46; 431 NW2d 454 (1988).

One can't help but wonder if the recent controvesy in North
Carolina with the ACLU challenging their newly-resurrected
200 year-old anti-cohabitation law has caused a light bulb
to go off in the collectiove mindset of Michigan's
conservative judicial system, and a green light at that, to
go forward and impose obviously unconstitutional laws on
the public and uphold their conservative agenda.

In my case, the trial court based it's judgement on "Simply
put, there being an affirmitive moral conviction by one
party, and an absence of moral conviction by another party,
in this case tha party with the affirmitive belief
prevails." This statement disregards my testimony that I
wish to grow old with my partner and that I am against
getting married for the wrong reasons, and my ex-wife
having a problem with cohabitating adults is the wrong
reason to get married. Especially seeing how we cohabited
for several years before we married.

The Court of Appeals upheld the judgement based on an age
old anti-cohabitation law that was never brought up in the
case by either side or the trial court.

The people of Michigan should be aware that
anti-cohabitation laws are in effect, and being recognized
to the extent that, at least in this case, I am given the
choice of marrying my partner, having her move out, or
sacrificing what little time I already have with my two
children, a five year old and a seven year old.

Proserpina

Unfortunately yes, Michigan is still one of seven states yet to repeal their anti-cohabitation laws.

Michigan Legislature - 328-1931-V

With that said OP...think very, very carefully here. How much of this is truly about the welfare of your child? Is it not about how you feel about the situation instead?

LdiJ

Unfortunately yes, Michigan is still one of seven states yet to repeal their anti-cohabitation laws.

Michigan Legislature - 328-1931-V

With that said OP...think very, very carefully here. How much of this is truly about the welfare of your child? Is it not about how you feel about the situation instead?
Plus, you would have to actually draw a judge that gave a hoot about the anti cohabitation law...that would actually enforce it. Obviously whoever posted the information you quoted here drew a judge who was willing to enforce that law. However, I am pretty certain its not enforced on a consistant basis.

A2010

More feedback

You are confirming what I believed to be accurate before I came across this Oakland County Michigan case. Does the judge not have to abide by an appeals court ruling if it cited in the petition or is it at his discretion? how does it work?

Am I also right in assuming that I would have no rights to request a change in custodial status unless there was an actual incident involving my daughter and her mother’s new boyfriend?

Also the boyfriend had been arrested for a DUI (driving alone). The charge is still pending. Can I request the Court for an order that my wife not allow my daughter in the car with her boy friend driving, pending the resolution of the DUI charge? Or do I have to wait for a DUI conviction before I can file a petition with the court? My ex refuses to admit that either she or her boyfriend have a drink problem.

I am trying to do the right thing for my child who has a great relationship with both her mom and dad (and step mom) but a poor relationship with Mom’s new boy friend who has a drinking problem. At this stage I am just examining options that are available under the law in Michigan, especially if boyfriend moves in with Mom.

My daughter is 9 (will be 10 in 2010). At what age does the court take her opinion and wishes into consideration?

Proserpina

You are confirming what I believed to be accurate before I came across this Oakland County Michigan case. Does the judge not have to abide by an appeals court ruling if it cited in the petition or is it at his discretion? how does it work?
No - the judge has a LOT of discretion. Your case is not the case which was ruled upon. A judge does NOT have to grant what is requested in a petition regardless of any case-law or statute cited.
Am I also right in assuming that I would have no rights to request a change in custodial status unless there was an actual incident involving my daughter and her mother’s new boyfriend?
Pretty much. Or a change in her circumstances.

Also the boyfriend had been arrested for a DUI (driving alone). The charge is still pending. Can I request the Court for an order that my wife not allow my daughter in the car with her boy friend driving, pending the resolution of the DUI charge? Or do I have to wait for a DUI conviction before I can file a petition with the court? My ex refuses to admit that either she or her boyfriend have a drink problem.
You can ask, but the chances of success are slim to none.

I am trying to do the right thing for my child who has a great relationship with both her mom and dad (and step mom) but a poor relationship with Mom’s new boy friend who has a drinking problem. At this stage I am just examining options that are available under the law in Michigan, especially if boyfriend moves in with Mom.

My daughter is 9 (will be 10 in 2010). At what age does the court take her opinion and wishes into consideration?
Probably when she's 14-15.

Last edited:

CJane

Look, your best bet is to speak with a local attorney who is familiar with how local judges are likely to rule in this instance.

Also, it would serve you well to actually read that appeals court decision rather than one of the party's (particularly the losing party's) parsed version of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">