• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan by appointment only in home salon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lcook83

What is the name of your state? Michigan
Opening a small, “by appointment only” salon in my home. I will be the only employee: Does my salon need to be handicap accessible if it is not open to public and by appointment only?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state? Michigan
Opening a small, “by appointment only” salon in my home. I will be the only employee: Does my salon need to be handicap accessible if it is not open to public and by appointment only?
Being appointment only and located in your home does not remove your business from being a place of public accommodation. As a result the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) would still apply to you, as might any similar state law. Whether you would need to make any changes to your home to meet the requirements of the ADA and any similar state law, however, is another matter and for that you need to consult an attorney who has experience with the ADA. You will also need to comply with local zoning requirements and state and local licensing requirements, too. It may be that the zoning rules for where your home is located will not allow you to have a business where customers come there, for example.

Finally, you need to get commercial liability insurance or a rider on your homeowner's policy that will cover you for negligence in the event a customer is injured while on your property. Your standard homeowner's insurance policy would not cover injuries to customers of a business being operated out of the home.

FlyingRon

Michigan seems to follow the federal ADA rules.

I'm going to have to disagree with Q. The size of your business doesn't exempt you from Title III and neither does the fact that you only see visitors by appointment. So, it comes down to whether removing the barriers are readily achievable. If you've only got a few steps, then a ramp fits into that category. If you're operating in a basement that it would be prohibitive to make access to other than stairs, you may not be. The fact that you are a small home-based salon, does change the character of what is readily achievable.

quincy

Also looked at is if a fundamental alteration is necessary for access to the salon (e.g., doorways) and if modifications would be an undue burden as well as readily achievable.

Because the salon is in a house, more might be necessary than a simple ramp.

But Lcook83 will want her salon plans personally reviewed by a legal professional anyway to make sure that, first, a home business is allowed in her area (e.g., zoning restrictions), and what else is required to operate her business (e.g., city permits) to operate the business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">