• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan. I'm 16, turning 17 in June. I want to try being emancipated once I turn 17. My therapist who is also my affidavit thinks that it's in my best interest to be emancipated. My parents are divorced with joint legal custody, but I don't have to visit with my father; and my mother barely supports me financially, I buy my clothes, toiletries, and most of my food. I'm home during weeknights from 11-6 when school is in session. On weekends or when schools out, I stay with a family who I am very close with. I eat dinner with them every night and have a bedroom waiting for me in their house for when I need it. I've lived with them once before when It was unsafe to live in my house due to my father. They also drive me to my therapist every week. I'm one of my therapist pro-bono clients. I have all of my pay stubs for the past year and a half printed off along with a detailed budget outlining how I could pay for health insurance. I make 600 a month and have a place that I can stay at that's less than half a mile away from my job and my school, I can also live there for free, or for 75 a month if needed for me to prove I can pay rent. The family I plan on staying with is also my emotional support group and consider me as their on of them, they are focused on helping improve my mental health due to the past trauma that I have experienced because of my home life, and I have sufficient evidence to prove that. If I end up not being able to be emancipated I will still be living with them once I turn 17 due to it being technically legal in Michigan ( I checked with multiple law enforcement officers to see if this is true). What are the chances of me being emancipated?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If your parents don't want you to be emancipated, you won't be emancipated.

Zigner

They aren't but they are the ones that would take me home if my parents called the cops on me. As long as I'm not in danger the police cannot do anything.
You would be surprised at the difficulties a motivated parent can bring upon you and your family who is harboring you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
They aren't but they are the ones that would take me home if my parents called the cops on me. As long as I'm not in danger the police cannot do anything.
I think you may find yourself sadly mistaken. And that could cost your friends dearly.

You would be surprised at the difficulties a motivated parent can bring upon you and your family who is harboring you.
I don't have parents that would be motivated to do that. They focus on themselves and don't like doing extra work.

Zigner

I don't have parents that would be motivated to do that. They focus on themselves and don't like doing extra work.
Then just get them to sign off on your emancipation, and comply with the various other requirements.

I'm really not sure why you're here. You've made up your mind and plan to move full speed ahead...why waste time here?

My parents are both mentally unstable. Their initial reaction is going to be no, but in Michigan, you can petition for emancipation, and have the judge decide even if both parents say no. I want to make sure I have all of my bases covered, and that it is something I will actually be able to do. I don't want to waste a bunch of time and energy on going to court over it just to be told no.

quincy

You can leave home but you will not be eligible for emancipation because you cannot support yourself. Moving from your house into a friend’s house is not supporting yourself.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
My parents are both mentally unstable. Their initial reaction is going to be no, but in Michigan, you can petition for emancipation, and have the judge decide even if both parents say no. I want to make sure I have all of my bases covered, and that it is something I will actually be able to do. I don't want to waste a bunch of time and energy on going to court over it just to be told no.
It would make more sense to have the family you spend so much time with declared your legal guardian.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">