• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan legality issue with property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hakeer

My brother and I are buying house from my stepmother on a land contract. He just tried to sell the house through a broker telling the broker that are names are on the title. This was done without my knowledge. I told the broker when he called me that our names were not on the title. I'm worried that if she finds out some way that I'll be just as responsible as him legally. Should I tell my stepmother what's going on?

Hakeer

Responsible for what? Ya totally lost me there.
I was told that what he did could be looked at as fraud as he didn't have her permission or knowledge about trying to sell the house. I don't want to be in trouble with the law so I was wondering what I should do?

adjusterjack

Should I tell my stepmother what's going on?
Yes.

I'm also lost on the rest of it.

But now you know why buying it together with your brother is an incredibly bad idea. And on a land contract no less. What can possibly go wrong with that? (Sarcasm alert.)

Hakeer

Ya I got the message the hard way for sure. Now I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing what's right. I don't want to get my brother in trouble but I don't want to be in that place either. It's just a big mess.
I'm trying to make sure I can't be held accountable if my step mother decides to press charges on my brother. I didn't know about anything until he texted me and told me what he had done and that the broker would be calling me to get my signature on the selling papers. When the broker called me I told him that neither one of our names were on the title to the house and he ended the call after telling me my brother had told him both our names were on the title and saying he needed to call my brother. I haven't heard anything since.

justalayman

Nobody’s getting into trouble. Depending on how the contract is written you and brother may actually be able to sell,the home. You should probably speak with a lawyer before you do anything though to make sure you can actually complete what you start.

bcr229

Your stepmother will find out at some point, and I would tell her sooner rather than later. I'm assuming that you and your brother still owe your stepmother for the house, so if/when it sells then that loan to her will need to be paid off at closing, and she will have to provide a payoff amount to the title company.

LdiJ

Your stepmother will find out at some point, and I would tell her sooner rather than later. I'm assuming that you and your brother still owe your stepmother for the house, so if/when it sells then that loan to her will need to be paid off at closing, and she will have to provide a payoff amount to the title company.
And very likely would have to sign off on anything that is being done.

FarmerJ

if this is a normal contract for deed where its also recorded at county government center and drawn up or prepared by a attorney then neither of you can sell it with out her being there to close.

justalayman

if this is a normal contract for deed where its also recorded at county government center and drawn up or prepared by a attorney then neither of you can sell it with out her being there to close.
There is one exception I can think of; if the brothers were selling the land contract. I don’t know how it’s written so I can’t say if it’s possible or not.

FarmerJ

I forgot , if this contract wasn't recorded how were you planning on protecting your investment ? ( first sip of wake up coffee )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">