• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan Union question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?Michigan

So I work for a company for 7 years now ( it is a grocery business owned by a family )

I signed up to be a union member 7 years ago when I was first hired. I sent the union an EMAIL requesting information on how to not be a union member and stop paying dues ( I sent the email in 2017 ) What I did not know is that they took that email as me demanding to stop being a member and I just found out a few days ago I am no longer a union member YET they STILL continued to take union dues out of every single paycheck. When I talked to them on the phone they said " Oh you only had 1 year to stop paying dues when I signed up "

yet I read online that Michigan is a right work state and they can't force you to be a member / pay dues .

Can I demand that they refund me all the dues I paid since they made me a non member?

I can't believe that they even took an email and not an actual signed contract or letter as my resignation. It's absolutely ridiculous ! All I was doing was requesting information ! They sure in the hell didn't take the " I want to stop paying dues " part of my email seriously but they sure jumped at the chance to make me a non member.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential