• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan; Where did my money go?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

danib

What is the name of your state?Michigan. Last July, I rented a home, with the option to buy;even signed a document that stated "good faith" deposit towards sale. Dealt with a third party (agent) hence supplied the realestate agent with first months rent and deposit. I've been here nearly a year, all payments went to the homeowner, (via homeowners request) I've done all repairs to the best of my ability as a single mom. In April, after I mailed a rent check the homeowner, he sent the check back to me, stating that he had filed bankrupcy, and told me that I had to deal with the realestate person. Homeowner instructed me that I had to get my deposit back from the real estate person. I made attempts to contact the mortgage holder, and tried to contact others. It's now June, and the realtor informed me that the deposit went for rent. (Mind you, since April, I've kept a diary of all of my transactions, and continue to pay rent, however, the rent money goes into a savings account, because I don't know who to pay and never want others to think that I don't pay my rent. I just don't know who to pay it to.) My biggeer dilema is;... where did my deposit go? If the realtor says that it went for rent, who did it go to; and who do I request a receipt from? Or is this realtor not on the up and up? I could use some advice... Currently I'm out 600.00 and I'd like for it to show somewhere. Just wanna do the right thing. Where do I turn? Who can help?

JETX

Way too confusing!!
You paid rent, but not to anyone??
You leased from an agent, but really an owner??
You make NO mention of having left the property... yet still trying to get your deposit??

I suggest you contact your local or state bar association and ask for a low- or no-cost referral to a local attorney. Maybe he can figure this out for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">