• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

milage to empolyees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ACS

Texas

My General Manager and I have a dispute:

Our employees are paid milage, they travel throughout the day to different sides of the city.

He says, unless they come to the office first, then they are paid milage starting from thier house to the job.

I say "no way" milage begins where they clock-in and milage would start once they leave that location.

I know there are exceptions to to rule , but what is the norm?

Last edited:

R

Ramoth

WHen to start reimbursing someone for mileage is pretty much up to company policy, as long as the normal commute to and from the office isn't reimbursed, and even that could be done as taxable wages.

My employer pays mileage from the office to wherever and back again. If I drive directly to another job site from home, or go straight home from another job site, I am reimbursed mileage less whatever my daily commute is. My employer before this one didn't reimburse mileage at all.

ACS

thank you for your response, but i am very unclear regarding your message.

so, are you saying that your employer DOES pays milage from your house to the job site?

thanks

StacyLB

I don't think so. He's saying that his employer pays mileage from the office to the work site regardless of whether he comes to the office first.

In other words, if you job required you to go to Sears and you had an appointment at 8am and you weren't coming to the office first, they would reimburse the mileage from the office to Sears.

That's how my employer reimburses as well.

Beth3

My current and previous employer pays mileage for any business travel, no matter where the employee begins their trip from - home or the office.

ACS - you do know this is entirely a company policy matter, right? There are no federal or Texas laws that require an employer to pay for an employee's travel or business expense.

gobonas99

I agree with Stacy and Ramoth. That is how my previous employer reimbursed (I no longer have to travel).

For example, say the employee lives 10 miles from the office, and they have to go to a job at company ABC.

If the employee goes to the office and then to the job location, and the job is 20 miles from the office, the employee would be reimbursed for 20 miles.

If the employee goes directly to the job from their home, and the job is 25 miles from their house, then the employee would be reimbursed for 15 miles (the 25 miles to get there from the house, LESS their normal 10 mile one-way commute to the office).

Hope that helped!

-Christina :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">